1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are you overall happy

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mikelawtown, Mar 6, 2006.

1. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Just wanted to ask if you guys with the 99+ F250 gassers were overall happy with your truck?...I have always owned a GM but was thinking about a 2002 F250 i have been looking at. 5.4

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I know about 5 people with the 5.4 and the are VERY HAPPY with it.
    It gets about 13 mpg all around ( they tell me ) and has plenty of power.
    I have driven E-350's with it and it's as good as my 5.8 in power etc.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I have driven several of the 5.4 and as long as they are empty they seem to be good trucks. I drove with a load in a 350 Dump a few times and had to hold it on the floor to go anywhere. Dont know much about gas milage as i have never driven one for a long period of time.

5. dag-otto

dag-otto Member

I have been extermely happy with my 5.4. I have never had anything wrong with that rig, cheaper to service and not to bad on fuel if you drive it easy. Plows with an 8ft western no problem. I would definately buy another 5.4.

I am sure somebody will say "should buy a diesel" . "once you go diesel you never go back" blah blah. How about crawling under your truck and changing the fuel filter/Water seperator in the middle of winter with sh&&dt dripping in your face and your jacket turning into a bounty towelet, quicly picking up the puddle your lying in.... haha.

Cheers

6. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

The one i'm looking into is a 2002 ext cab 6 foot bed with 95k. The dealer wants 12,995...i tought that was a decent price, the truck is toreador red and in great condition.

7. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I am unbelievably happy with the '99+ Super Duty models, I run many. Very tough trucks, and powerful.

-Thann

8. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Howdy: I have an 04 250 with the 5.4 and I absolutely LOVE IT!! Fantastic for plowing. More than enough power to push good size piles of snow, and it warms up the cab way faster than any diesel.

To be honest, however, I might go with the V10 next truck. I guess you can never have too much power and I hear that the gas mileage is not much difference.

But, I've pushed snow with alot of guys who drive the 5.4 V8 and ALL of them have been very satisfied with their setup. Fords are just awesome, IMO.

9. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 1999 F-350 V-10 4x4 used it for plowing 2 years and sold it! I hated the engine, the milage wasn't terrible however the fact I had 2 sparks plugs literally blow out of the heads due to the lack of threads into the motor really turned me off to Ford gas motors at least for awhile... My dealer claims they had at that time done head jobs on 100 + Trucks with 5.4 & 6.8 Litre engines for the same problem!

10. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

As soon as mine hit 60,000 miles it seems to be one problem after another

11. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I have an 04 f-350 very happy, in the market for an extra cab!

12. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

May dad has a 5.4 in his ext. cab short bed. Doesn't plow with it. Motor has been pretty much trouble free. He bought it new in 2000. I don't know how many miles he has on it. Less than 20k a year. It is good empty as stated, but a dog when towing. No balls. He does have 3.73's though. The 4.10 would be better towing, but worse mileage I'd think.