1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are You Kidding Me>>>the Lake Erie Ice Boom Snapped!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PetalsandPines, Feb 4, 2003.

1. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

Just when you thought the lake effect snow season was winding down. The fierce windstorm snapped the ice boom on lake erie near Buffalo and hundreds of Square miles of ice is pouring down the river!!! Are you kidding me?? ANY OTHER LOCAL'S JAWS DROPPING TO THE FLOOR ON THIS ONE?? DOES THIS MEAN THE LAKE EFFECT MACHINE FIRES BACK UP FOR WESTERN NEW YORK??? AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!:mad:

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

being from the east part of the state

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

CARDOCTOR:confused: :confused:

3. PetalsandPines

The Story

Tuesday, February 04, 2003

ICE BOOM BREAKS APART IN NIAGARA RIVER

It happened just before noon. Hundreds of square miles of solid ice, pushed by fierce winter winds, created a force so strong, even the steel pontoons making up the ice boom between the U.S. and Canada couldn't bear the weight.

Finally, they gave way, sending huge chunks of ice and broken pontoons floating, speeding, actually, down the Niagara River.

"I immediately thought of any ice fishermen who might have ventured out there," said Jack Sniderhan, City of Buffalo Disaster Coordinator. "With this movement of ice ... it would cause an unsafe environment."

Ice fishermen aren't the only concern. The huge chunks of ice can block water and power intakes for the hydropower plant miles downstream.

Neither the Coast Guard, Power Authority, nor the Army Corps of Engineers were able to physically get out there to take a closer look; the fierce wind and ice makes it extremely dangerous, even for them.

Property owners along the Niagara River need to keep an eye out. Huge chunks of ice can rip a dock out and send it downstream.

4. PetalsandPines

They string this thing up between US & Canada, to prevent the constant flow of ice chunks down the river (prevents damage to niagara falls power plants) It also creates a damming effect on the lake and helps damn up the ice when the lake freezes...When it warms up in the spring, they let it go and the lake ice flows down to lake ontario. With the boom being busted...the lake ice is now emptying & flowing down the river exposing the water for renewed lake effect snow!!!

5. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

Haven't heard this on the news yet. I just hope this doesn't cause any property damage for people on the river.

I also hope it doesn't cause any damage to the power generating station. We had a power outage here in Elma today. I assume it's not connected.

As far as I know most of that nice cheap power goes downstate instead of creating more jobs here in WNY. Just a pet peeve.

I've always wondered how that flimsy log & chain boom held back all that ice. There's gotta be some serious power there. Now we know the boom isn't all that well designed after all.

So, who's going to pay for the boom repair and for any damage caused by the boom breaking? The piker downstaters who get all that cheap power? Yeah, right.

6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

So, PetalsandPines, I guess you have more seasonals than per push accounts? Or are you just scared of lake effect after last year?

7. PetalsandPines

Both....More seasonals....And I am sick of the unpredictable nature of the snow... Another plus of a frozen lake....More Sunny days!

8. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Complaining about the chance of lots more snow???:eek: I'd love to have that problem out here. We've had 3 plowable storms all year.

9. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Big Red "As far as I know most of that nice cheap power goes downstate instead of creating more jobs here in WNY. Just a pet peeve."

Niagara is the biggest electricity producer in New York State, generating 2.4 million kilowatts—enough power to light 24 million 100-watt bulbs at once! This low-cost electricity saves the state's residents and businesses hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

Heres something alot of people don't know, the power goes to 12 states and parts of Canada. Plus it's on the top of the list in NY state for terrorism.

P&P I agree with you NO more snow......i'm waiting to landscape again

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I guess they want the homeowners out there to watch the destruction! What else are they gonna do?

11. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

i saw it let loose from my front porch and all i could do was :)

12. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Petals & Earthscapes!! :nono: :nono:

Report to my office immediately after school! You have been given Plowsite detention for your blasphemous comments!! Go to the chalk board and write " Let it snow" 100 times. After you have apologized to Ole Man Winter you can rejoin us here.

:nod:

13. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Link to the power authority:
    http://www.nypa.gov/html/niagara.html

They do have a few ice breaker tugs along with other measures including water level controls in place in case something like this happened. No need to worry about the power going out.

Seasional contracts are about the only thing people will sign arround here, with the crazy weather we can get. Just like an insurance policy.

14. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

:eek: I was thinking the same thing

15. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

HAHA, Take the snow.
    W/ seasonal contracts the less snow the better.

I know I'd rather have 7ft of snow at once then nothing the rest of the year. Over 3" every day for the entire season.

16. PetalsandPines

I thought the lake was frozen

Weren't these knucklehead forecasters saying last week that Lake erie was frozen...Did anyone ever physically fly over the lake and look at it...WHY DID WE JUST GET 3 " OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW OFF OF A FROZEN LAKE!!!AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!:mad:

17. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

P&P not to make you sound stupid, but didn't you just answer your last post,,in your first post ? Ummmm if the ice boom broke don't you think the Lake is NOT 100% frozen anymore ??

18. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

lol I just can't help but to laugh at your responce....
    :cool:

19. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

LOL I'm glad you guys said something. I was trying to figure out what I missed, since I'm not from there I figured maybe there was something I don't know about that was lost on me in the explanation. P&P, I can see we're going to end up having to send you to the Principal's Office pretty soon with that bad snow attitude ;) Detention didn't work obviously. I think P&P is just suffering from a different kind of mid winter stir craziness than GG and Earthscapes. Posting answers before the questions is another symptom of the mid winter boredom of living over there I think. :D

20. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Re: I thought the lake was frozen

It never was completely frozen... I saw it myself from a distance up high on I-90. You could see the shores of Canada and strips of blue water. Perhaps frozen enough though to not mix in lake moisture from a meteorologists standpoint?

I remember hearing stories from years back of people walking and snowmobiling across the ice to Canada. The most dangerous areas are the ice dunes along the shoreline.

If I ever hope to "walk on water" this will be the only way I know of!!