1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are you in WNY....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rywnygc, Feb 20, 2010.

1. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Or another heavy snow area? I have only had experience plowing in N.E. Indiana and it usually wasnt more than 6-8 inches. I am moving to my wife's hometown and will be plowing there. I know that they measure snow in feet up there and wanted to get some advise on a truck. I dont want this to be a brand dispute I AM A FORD GUY AND WONT BUY ANYTHING ELSE!!!! Will a 250 do the job or should I splurge for a 350? I will be getting a 7.3 deisel. This will be my only truck for right now, so it will be my lawn season truck as well. Thanks in advance for any advise.

2. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

Don’t be scared little buddy you’ll get used to it. A 250 will be fine I would get a 350 because for a little more $$ you will have a 1 ton. I sure miss my 350. Buy one down there too because it will be pre-rusted. Then bring it up and play in the salt. Have fun and welcome to the north east.

3. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

lol Im actually in colorado right now until I get out of the army. I plan on buying the truck out here because they dont use salt out here and trucks dont have any rust.

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

A 250 will be fine unless you plan on running a V-Box then I'd think about a 1-ton.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It will start rusting as it gets closer to here! Don't worry about the FEET AND FEET of snow we get here. If grandma can get to bingo in Yugo ,I'm sure you'll be able to get around in your truck.:)

looked up your zip code,have fun plowing!
    Nothing like plowing 200 inches a year.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  6. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

oh yeah baby! Im actually looking forward to it. Plowing the piddly 6" once or twice a month in Indy was a blast. Cant wait to move some real snow.

7. DaySpring Services

You'll get sick of it real fast!

8. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

You would think so, but Im kinda weird. Some people love warm tropical beaches with crystal clear water......Give me a big truck on a back road in 2' of snow anyday.

9. grandview

Just for you info .Most of the roads are plowed by the town ,county or state.

10. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

yeah, I know. Those things are monsters too. I just love driving in snow. Lots of fun.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  11. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Well I figured I would post in this thread, rather than start a new one. Besides, everyone loves 2 year old threads!

So, I'm out of the Army now. Have been for about a year and a half. I got back to WNY and I started my company up soon after I got here. I didn't plow last year due to funds. I am a debt free company and I needed to buy lawn and landscape equipment before I bought the plow set up.

My first two seasons of lawn care and landscaping have gone really well. I have been beating myself up over the last two weeks, trying to figure out if I wanted to buy a new plow, or a used one and a back up truck. I went used.

My first truck was a POS 95' Dodge ram 1500. I used that the first season and then sold it and bought an 02 F250 SD 7.3 from Colorado (NO RUST!!!)

I just bought a used 8' Western pro plow and I am talking to a few different people right now about another truck w/ a plow for a back-up. I am up to 30 residential drive way accounts. I had 2 accounts 2 weeks ago. So, I have gotten quite a few recently. After spending a winter here, I am really looking forward to this season. Once I get everything set up (the plow is being installed Wednesday) I will post some pics.

Hope everyone has a good season!

12. grandview

They are saying over 120 inches for us this year so that means if the wind comes the right way you'll be in the 250+

13. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Yep. Luckily, my plow route is in Orchard Park. I watched the totals very closely last year and we got almost 3x what OP got. Although, that storm that shut down the 90 really hit that area bad.

BTW you have a great website.

14. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I cant wait for the blizzard this year.

15. grandview

Be right over to slap some sense into you!

16. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

Yeah, I'm looking forward to some snow, but a Blizzard would suck. That reminds me, I have to go buy a new snowboard for my kid.

17. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

I Can Wait!!

I'll Help:D

18. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

My theory is if i hype it up now it won't do anything. I learned that one from don paul.

19. DaySpring Services

Don Paul is good at that, but he's still one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to this season. I dropped my commercial accounts and am going 100% residential this season. I'm really looking forward to using my blower again this season. The best part of it all is the local farmer who used to blow driveways quit this year, some of his customers are running to me!

20. rywnygc

rywnygc Member
    from 14033

I was amazed at how quickly I reached my goal for the season. I thought about advertising in the pennysaver, but I thought that the response would be limited and too spread out. I have all of my accounts in two neighborhoods. The neighborhoods are right next to eachother, so my route is real tight. There is one person who will probably be pretty upset with me though. I ended up getting like 8 customers from one guy. I didn't lowball his price though. I actually asked if we were close in price, and the customers said yeah. They just haven't been able to get ahold of him yet and I do a little extra with the service.

Im dropping my truck off tomorrow to get the plow installed, get new Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs put on, get the oil changed, and just a general pre-winter inspection of all important parts.

As for now though, I gotta get out of here and go cut some trees. I have 20 spruces to trim up and 3 other trees to cut down today.