1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are you guys Serious?!?!!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gottaluvplows, Dec 17, 2009.

?

What do you plow sidewalks with??

Poll closed Sep 11, 2012.
  1. A truck With Full-size plow

23 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Snowblower/Atv/Mini-Truck

60 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Shovel

49 vote(s)
    44.5%
  4. Other (plz Explain)

12 vote(s)
    10.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Who plows sidewalks with their truck????? i saw someone doin' it today and personally i thought they had a few too many drinks at first! :drinkup: I couldnt believe they were plowing a 4-5 ft wide sidewalk with a 7-8 ft plow!

We use the biggest self-propelled snowblower for sidewalks not too long or the ATV with a 42' plow(i think) for the sidewalks that are really long.

[​IMG]

2. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

So I am not the only one who says WTF when I see this. I have seen a few properties where the company does the sidewalks with a truck, tearing up grass like they were going to resod it. The best was a very nice funeral home/insurance building property I saw last year. The walks were done with a truck so there was grass and busted sprinkler heads and hoses sticking up all over. I laughed for a good minute when I saw that. :laughing::nono:

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have 1 place where I COULD use a truck but leave it to my sidewalk guys. Its a new account and we haven't had much snow so far so it's tough to tell if I actually need to plow it off once in a while. This place has no lawn and is probably a 12ft wide sidewalk.

4. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

I have seen where like Brian said the sidewalks are wide enough, but usually it's a quad or a tractor or a snow blower.

5. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I can understand a 12ft sidewalk. Thats basically a driveway. But when I see a guy using a 9ft V blade on a standard 4ft wide walkway with grass and landscaping on both sides...thats nuts.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Don't you think a 42 footer is overkill?

7. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

I did my side walk one time when there was 3 foot snow it was too much just PLOW IT..

8. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I plow a a smooth city walk with my V plow. Just leave it in a V position and it is fine.

9. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I'll admit that I used to do it for a school district's city walks. I subbed for a local excavator, & they had been doing it for years. Before he got the contract, the district employees did it themselves the same way. I always got the honor because I had the smallest piece of equipment: a 1 ton DRW dump truck with 8.5' straight blade. Eventually after I left, the old boss put together a CJ Jeep with a 6.5' blade just for these walks, but sold it after one season because it didn't work as well as he had figured. I guess with what the district saved in labor on the walks they could afford to touch up the grass every year.

10. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

we use a skid to plow our sidewalks

11. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 300 ft section of sidewalk that drifts real bad. I take the wing off the passenger side of the plow that way the weight shifts to the left. I put my head out the window and take it slowly. I can get the majority of the snow off so it makes things a little easier on the shovelers.

Shovelers and blowers handle the rest.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not really. The key is to angle it. ALOT!!!!

You really need a one ton with a Cummings for that. Just ask our buddy Dipshi....

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I have done walks with my plow.

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

15. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Well I have a few places I do walks. One is a rubberized metal wheelchair ramp, so plastic shovel only. Everywhere else is my little snowblower, pending the time of day. Or on a light lake effect snow, I have on occasion used my backpack blower. Kinda funny on the looks I get, lol.

16. Michigansnowkin

Michigansnowkin Member

:yow!:I thought that was the right way to do it? You mean driving over a curb, ripping up the grass and smashing the curbs isnt what everyone else does it?No wonder I dont have s*** for work!:yow!:

17. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have done it before on the wide sidewalks with a big snow fall... pulled into V we have never had an issue with having to fix the sod or anything

18. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

All im saying is" Is it really worth tearing up all the Grass and sprinklers?" I dont think so cause in the spring you gotta go back and put new heads on the sprinklers and reseed the grass

19. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I push the 30 feet of sidewalk in front of my house, as it runs right to the curb.

20. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I have done sidewalk with my 11ft wide bucket on my payloader. only if its to deep for a v-plow .We have lots of accounts that we send a v-plow down them. Thats what the fargo school distric uses for all there sidewalks. We dont usually do sidewalks casue thats not our specality, but if someone asks we tell them yes we can do it, but were taking a v-plow or skidder down them, do you still want us to do it? most of the time the awnser is yes cause its usally after a big storm.