1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are you guys rich yet!?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoFoilFisher21, Apr 5, 2003.

1. SnoFoilFisher21

SnoFoilFisher21 Member

hey, You people in the Northeast must be rich by now, man we had so much snow this year, its amazing. Out here on the island we didn't get much but up-states getting pounded still! Just wondering how much money u guys made!!!:D

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Im a million dollars shy of being a millionaire, lol! Just kidding, I made a few bucks, but nothing like what some of you made I bet who do alot of plowing for alot of places. This is just a side thing for me more than anything, but I have fun doing it, which is why I do it in the first place, the money you can make is good though also. :) I dont depend on plowing to make money, I already have a full time job year round. Mike :)

3. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Being and getting rich is a mind-set...Get over the money (material things) and enjoy life...It's not the quantity of life, it's the quality of the life you decide to live.

By the way, We did make some $$$...:D

4. ToyotaPower

Dido, what mike said, If I had to count on snow or any one thing in life to make a living, I would out crazy...:gunsfiring:

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i need material things cars boats toys

quality is nice

the more money the more fun $$$$$$$$$$$

cardoctor

:waving:

6. ToyotaPower

cardoctor, once you get all those material things and that all you have in life, life becomes very lonely without having "QUALITY" in your life. The best things in life are FREE...GIVE IT SOME THOUGH...:waving:

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Actually, here I'm about 14 inches below average snowfall. My accountant showed over $2,000 loss for the year. Said I need to either get the income up or the expenses down. Kind of hard to do with two below average years in a row.:(

8. lwnmwr1

lwnmwr1 Junior Member

this winter would make you think that central vt has a bubble over it. it snowed to beat the band north and particularly south of us. just a mediocre winter. only 1 storm over 8"!! not that i'm complaining never break down when moving 3 or 4".

9. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

you can have both
    thats why i work 60 hours a week real job
    and plow on top of that
    to make life more comfortable for my family
    and to enjoy the fruits of my labor

next to god ,familyand country
    money is very important

if money wasnt important to you
    you wouldnt be out busting your hump plowing when everybody else is nice and warm sleeping in their house.

cardoctor
    i want money lots and lots of money$$$$$$$$$$

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I agree, money isn't important only to those who have enough. I've been on both sides and I prefer being comfortable to wondering how I'm going to pay the rent, meet the bills, buy groceries etc.

BTW - I just checked and found out I showed an $11,000 loss in snowplowing for the year instead of $2,000. I guess I'm just going to have to quit buying toys and concentrate on getting some accounts. After analyzing the numbers for last year, I've decided to go after more commercial. Spending way too much time and expense on those $25 and $30 residential drives that only bring in a two or three hundred dollars apiece for the year.

I guess I should elaborate in case someone is reading this thinking that plowing is a losing proposition. Actually, I'm having large losses in a start-up business on purpose and designed it that way in the business plan that I haven't actually got on paper, yet. This year, I'm planning to be about even. Then starting next year, the plan is that I'll be showing an overall profit.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2003
  11. ToyotaPower

Snowplowing is a hard business and long hours are involved. Money is Important to everyone who has to work for a living. I work 3 jobs to give my family a certain lifestyle to live.

Money does make life's financial problem go away. But without a family in life all the money in the world could not and would not matter. Sure you would have a great time spending and maybe it would last for a period of time.

But ask yourself, when you get up in the morning are you excited to go to work or would you rather pull the sheet over and sleep in that day. It's like the first "snow fall" of the season...

P.S. I hate "Monday", and one of my goal in life is to take "Monday" off. Hasn't happen yet but looking forward to that day... and it will happen...:waving:

12. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

This was the worst year that I (and my fathers business) have ever had. Total this winter I made only $940 plowing. Thats not even enough to make one months payments on the new truck, Bobcat, and other equipment!! Thank god the snow plowing thing is only a side job otherwise I would really be in trouble since I only had the plows on the truck 4 times and the biggest snow we got was 4". But about the time that I sell and get out of plowing, my luck we will get dumped the next couple years.

13. DanG

DanG Senior Member

I did alright here:D payup
    Best year I've ever had in over 20 yrs doing this
    Looking for ways to spend it now.

Dan

14. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

Well we made the money now it's just the matter of waiting for it to come in! AS the expression goes "you can have all your eggs in one basket, but don't count your money i mean eggs before they hatch"

15. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Sure, but you've also got to understand that they are not mutually exclusive. Give me family, AND a way to provide a comfotable living for them. The more comfortable, the better. :D

16. wyldman

wyldman Member

We had a very poor year on seasonal contracts due to the large amount of snow we received this year.Lots of salting made up for it though.

The last big ice storm,and another one this evening,are all ca$h money,as our contracts have ended.The extra $$$$ will be nice.

It's not all about the money,I love what I do.Not many understand why I enjoy this type of work,but I do love it.I love the snow business.I love the auto business,and I enjoy even more getting paid well for doing it.I get out of bed for work in the morning both because I have to,and I want to.It's hard on the family sometimes (5 kids),but worth it when you get to see the results your hard work provides.All of them will have straight teeth,get a university education,and live a happy and healthy life.When they eventually move out on their own,then I'll get to slow down and relax a little bit,and enjoy some other things in life.Material things aren't as important,but I have been fortunate enough to get most of what I want and enjoy it as well.

17. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Wait a minute here ????????????

I'm :confused:

You mean I am suppose to be making money doing this????????

I thought it was supposed to be for the shear gratitude and great feeling you get for working ungodly hours in some of the worst weather ol Mother nature can dish out, helping people keep their driveways and parking lots clear of snow and ice...

Why didn't someone clue me in a long time ago..?

I coulda been a contender... I coulda been somebody !!!!
    I coulda been the "Donald Trump of the Snow removal world" no wait I think JAA has that position pretty wrapped up.

;) Just joshin you JAA !!!:D

18. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

"Money can't buy happiness"

I have a wife, 2 kids, dogs, horses...that's all the happiness I can handle, I might as well have the money too.

Any suggestions on how to get some?

I've been coming to this site for almost 2 years. I only plow my own driveway, but this year I plowed out my sister inlaws new house once and they bought me dinner. So I guess I'm in the upper income bracket of plowers.
    After hearing the horror stories out there, I'm scared to do anymore.
    I just put a new motor in my truck, so maybe next year I'll try to earn 2 dinners.

Good Luck to all of you.

ScottyB.

19. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This season made up for last year with all the snow we had.

20. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

GV. This thread from 2003. :). Sounds like it was a great year comparitively