1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are you guys kidding me!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow junkie, Sep 5, 2008.

1. snow junkie

snow junkie Junior Member

Everyday I receive feedback from store managers that salt prices from the next guy are a third of my cost per application. How can you do a salt application for $250.00 when the material alone this year is well over that cost for the amount needed. If somebody can answer that please let me know. I think too many people are not doing their homework on how scarce salt is this year. Well I had to vent. I guess some people like to work for free.

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

alot of people work for free...the problem is they don't know it til after the work is done....:rolleyes:

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Do you know how much the guy is charging each time he plows? He might be making a killing on that end of it so he can get away with charging next to nothing for salt.

4. snow junkie

snow junkie Junior Member

Way to low

He is only charging $300.00 per visit on a 7 acre property.

5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Or he is spreading very little salt. I lost a high school 5 years ago where I would spread 2 tons with my v-box. The new guy came in with a curtis tailgate speader and would spread around 10 bags worth. Its always icy but they seem not to mind.

6. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

The reason for this is we have not had alot of snow for about 2 winters now, guys have no idea what to expect when it snows like crazy. Dont worry we will get a ton of snow this winter, and the low ballers will be left to tread water. That lot will call you, when the the guys equipment is broken down. It sucks that it like this, but dont worry only one good winter to kill the low ballers!

7. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i think this is mostly due to ppl not doing there home work, not staying up with the industry and costs of operation... i just bid a 10 acre site today , turned in the bid, they want a meeting tommarow because they loved it... i think it was around 575 just to salt... not a great killer money maker, but got my foot in the door lets just hope i can salt it with less than 3 tons , 2 would be real nice

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That's just way too cheap!! :cry:

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

well thats about 2 tons, so $150 per ton, thats not such a bad price , if you were basing getting salt from last year at 48 per ton.... looks like this year hes only going to make $50 on the deal, minus fuel, and operator, he might make 10 bucks

10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I dont think many ppl know about the salt this year to tell you guys the truth.

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

yep, thats the truth , which make me have to keep my price lower than id like

12. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I talked to a guy the other day, his plan is since the price of salt is omost twice what it was.

Hes going to tell his clients, and cut the amount of salt they use in 1/2 so the cost will be about the same

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

thats kinda what im going for , however im going to pre -wet the salt, and pre -treat the parking lot with liquid

14. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I was at lesco the other day, and was asking about there ice melt just wasting time.

And a guy was like, whats wrong with salt? I havent heard anything about it really theres a shortage?

15. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Yea I think that will work the way your doing it.

But this guy is just going to cut it in 1/2

IMO he dosent salt enought any ways

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

and he's a supplier? i think he has spent too much time in the pesticide cabinet

17. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

No it was a contractor that was in there at the same time lol

18. elite1msmith

from chicago

figures why the landscpae industry is messed up..... honestly if i had it my way , i wouldnt even do landscaping

19. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I must be confused. I thought he was responding to Camden's plow question. $300 is very low if that's his per ap price for 7 acres.

20. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I know,

Not to high jack the thread, but Mowing is the wost of them all