1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are wings worth it.........

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by plownit, Jan 27, 2010.

1. plownit

plownit Junior Member
    from ohio

We have had this customer for the past two years. This year I installed wings on my Boss9'2 v. I am also the one that does the plowing at this location.After the last snow we get a call from them and was asked if we could lower our price? We asked why, are you unhappy with our service this year or did you have any other problems. Was told by the business they have me on camera getting the job done to quickly, therefore we should lower your price. We have a per event contract with them. ..........Money in our pocket! Are wings worth it? What do you think?wesport
  2. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

lol, i guess thats a good problem to have?? although i cant stand it when customers think they have the right to tell you how to do your job. paying a premium for having their lot done sooner and therefore less equipment on site, they should be happy.
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

wow thats some funny .........

did your truck magically get cheaper, how about the plow? ooh wait, salt got cheaper right?

Listen, tell your customer that your a business, and last I checked businesses are in business to make money and stay in business. we do this by improving efficiency and cutting costs. The wings allow you shave some time off plowing, thus spending less fuel and hopefully allowing you to take on more work, more work hopefully means more profit just in time to fix all the stuff that is going to break.

maybe when you put it into perspective for him he will realize the foolishness of his ways:rolleyes:
  4. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

You should not be penalized for using efficient equipment.

I ran into the exact same problem with a church I used to take care of. The head maintenance guy saw how quickly I could do it so they wanted to switch to a per hour charge instead. I told them that I don't bid jobs that way so they let me go and hired someone else.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can turn this right around......

Explain to the customer you made a significant investment to purchase the wings. They also increase your operating costs with fuel used per hour (remember you're pushing more snow per hour now), and the cutting edges don't last very long on the wings.

So you have made an investment that allows you to service your customer better/faster, but will not be increasing their rates.
  6. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Love my wings, i'm a broker so paid by the hour so might have lost some money in the long run but doing commercial lots as i do i was getting mad with my straight blade always chasing run off.

Would love a v with wings.

As mentioned costs went up so price stays the same. :)
  7. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I say next snow send someone there with a 6' 6" plow and charge them double!!
  8. allcraftsmen

allcraftsmen Junior Member

You should have tripled your hourly rate for them.
  9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

It never fails to amaze me at just how dumb some people really are. I wish I had wings on both of my trucks. Wouldn't fit thru a drivethru though with wings on, otherwise I would have them in a heartbeat!
  10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The price was fine when they signed the contract. Why would it change now? People like that can go piss up a rope....
  11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

funny you say that...

we have a customer too that watches security camera footage sometimes for billing.

i think he swears hes gonna catch us billing the big place when we didnt plow, who knows.

they made such a stink about us plowing so fast with the V plow diesel f350 so from now on i send in the 7'6" plow f150s lol, takes a little longer and more passes and no complaints, lol. go figure.