1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are wings worth having?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fallcreek, Jan 13, 2011.

1. fallcreek

fallcreek Junior Member
    from TN

I am thinking about getting some wings but for 3-400 are they worth it?
    8' poly straight blade

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Anything that can increase Production is worth it......Increased Production = More Money...payup......:drinkup:

3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

abso-bloody-lutely

wait, what plow?

4. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

If you have access to a welder, why not spend half as much and put Pro Wings on it?

5. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

I use wings on my 7.5 they're a must have for me, however be careful if you're in TN, wet heavy snow will put a major load on your truck in terms of tranny and front end etc.

6. RMC LANDSCAPING

RMC LANDSCAPING Member
    from Chicago

are tbe wings western has for the pro plus are they worth it?

7. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

if you charge by the hour then not so much but if you charge per push then you need them

8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

What brand?

9. Matson Snow

Boss..........:laughing:..:dizzy::dizzy:

10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Well, in that case, definitely worth having! I was looking more for the make of his plow though, smartass. :laughing:

11. Matson Snow

Thank You..:laughing:...He did say 8 Foot Poly..So i guess it could be Meyer, Western..Doe's Boss or Fisher Make an 8 Foot Poly?....

12. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

You have a ploy blade? I wsa looking at wings and so far all the ones I have found say not recomended for poly blades, I guess it puts stress on the ploy and breaks it, I would like to know if there are any that are for apoly, or can they all be used?

13. hightop

hightop Member

I was gonna say the same thing reading thru this thread, but you beat me to it. I don't think you can use them on poly plows either,

14. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

yes. Yes. YES.

I moved from a truck with a Blizzard 810 to a skidsteer with a 8' straight blade, chasing mowhawks from the wingless straight is a nightmare compared to running the 810 (granted the wings are more complex than a basic straight with fixed wings but I imagine the effects are similar). I will say that going 'back to basics' so to speak has improved my skill as a plower, I find myself planning my pushes more with a straight blade than the 810.

15. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

depends

do you want to make money?

or do you want to chase your tail while everyone around you makes money?

your choice.

25 to 30% productivity gain easy.

for a couple hundred bucks, it's a slam dunk.

16. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I added pro-wings to my blade after the first push this season and will never run a straight blade with out them.

17. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

For heavy wet snow it would be extra hard on the plow and truck

Clean up is excellent. My wings came in tonight hopefully i can get them on tomorrow

18. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

You will only wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

We had some pretty wet, heavy snow last month and I found myself running around exclusively in BucketBlade.

20. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Put some pro wings on one of my straight blades. 8' Fisher MMI. Only modification I did is weld a piece of light tubing to the back and run it down to the rubber to support the rubber from bending back. Every set of pro wings I have seen around town are bend damn near straight. Anyway, makes a world of difference. I run an 8611 power plow and like already mentioned above I find myself in scoop mode ALOT. Also, I find the pro wings actually do a better job of cleaning the lot than my 8611. I think it's due to the fact that the rubber is squeegeeing the ground and my 8611 has 3 pieces of cutting edge trying to be on the same plane. Plus when you get out there 11' there are too many inconsistencies in the surface.