1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are Western Plows Plug and Play?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Lt CHEG, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Lt CHEG

Lt CHEG Junior Member
    from NY

I'm contemplating putting a plow on my new 2010 F250 Supercab Diesel that I just bought if I can qualify for an upfitter rebate. The new Western plows seem really nice and my uncle has been using nothing but Western for over 20 years with no major problems. I don't really want to turn my truck into a "plow truck" as it looks really nice and I want to keep it that way. However a plow bigger than my ATV plow might be nice for the long driveway that I'll have on my new house when I break ground in the next year or so and I might be able to pick up a few extra bucks helping my uncle, etc. So what I'm wondering is does installing a Western snow plow require cutting or splicing any wires on my truck? Looking at Western's website and their isolation module, it looks like all the factory wiring harnesses plug into the western module without the need to cut any factory wires. Is this the case? If I was to put a plow on the truck I'd like to be able to remove it without any evidence that it was there once I replace the air dam on the front bumper. It looks like I could attach a control to the Western wiring without doing anything to my Ford wiring inside the cab and could use the hand held controller without having to drill into any plastic to attach the controller.

Bottom line is if I wanted to install a plow and before selling the truck I wanted to remove everything and replace the air dam with a new one, and have their be literally no changes to the truck (except maybe a couple of extra holes drilled in the frame after the plow attachment points are removed) would a Western be the plow for me? Thanks

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you will have to cut 3 wires on the truck. turn signals and marker light. that is true for any plow. after removing the plow mount and putting the air dam back on it is hard to tell if any plow was on the truck.

3. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

There is no drilling required. I also just used piggyback wire jumpers for the turn signals and parking light and then just shrunk wrapped them to keep out water. When you decide to get a new truck simply snip the wires as close to the connectors as possible a your done. BUT, bolts get rusty and and sometimes hard to get off to remove an old bracket so before then get some Fluid Film to het in that process.

4. Lt CHEG

Lt CHEG Junior Member
    from NY

Thanks to all for the advice so far.

Let me ask another question based upon the above post. Would it be unreasonable to just unbolt the plow attachment points from the frame and swap a notched air dam for an un-notched air dam at the end of plowing season (say May just to be on the safe side)? I suppose one could leave all the electrical connections in place during the spring and summer but remove the plow attachment points and nobody would know that there was a plow there. Does this sound at all reasonable? Does anyone else do this? I know Western allows you to remove most of the truck mounted portion with the Ultramount setup, but does anyone go through the extra step of just unbolting the remains and then reattaching them in the fall? I think I'm trying to avoid the appearance of having a "work truck" when I'm not using it for work, but still retain the capabilities of the truck. I only have space for storing my one truck as I also have a take home vehicle provided by my job and my wife has her own vehicle so it's not like I can have a separate truck for work only. I upgraded to a 3/4 ton diesel so that I could tow my New Holland Boomer 3040 Cab tractor, front end loader and backhoe as my 1/2 ton was just too over burdened and well beyond its tow rating towing the 13,000 load. However the truck is still used just as often for non work purposes too and I want it to look nice taking the wife out to dinner, the mall, etc. Thanks to all for the input.

5. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member