1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are we done for the year???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Feb 21, 2002.

Do you think it will snow any more???

Poll closed Mar 3, 2002.
  1. We're probably done for the season

24 vote(s)
  2. No... it's still comin'

28 vote(s)
  3. It's snowing right now

4 vote(s)
  4. What was the question???

1 vote(s)
  1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I realize this will vary from area to area... but who thinks we're done for the season. Personally, I don't remember EVER getting what I would consider a plowable event in March, and it's creeping up on us fast. What about you?

2. PAPS Landscape

PAPS Landscape Member

It was like 65 today here in NJ, a total dissapointment this year in terms of snow... what a waste.
  3. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

The *most* plowable event I remember was in March. I think it was 93. My uncle marched in the St' Patricks Day parade and when he got back to his car he couldn't get it out of where he'd parked it for 3 days. (Well, now that I think of it, that might just have been because he's Irish, but there was a lot of snow too.)

After the snow began I was out for 30 out of the next 36 hours.

As far as the poll goes, if there were a choice of "It's not done yet, but at this late date, even if it does snow, I don't have a snowball's chance in heck of turning a profit this season", I'd have chosen that one.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

its cold and windy here tonite, with a dusting of snow. The lots are icy and will need salt in the morning. The forecast is for colder than normal the next week, and lake effect snow each day.

Winter is back!!

We have officially 1 " more than our seasonal average of snow so far this season, and probably will go down in the books as considerably better than normal when all is said and done.

I have NO complaints !
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm not giving up completely. Last year I plowed five times after Feb 21st - including 12" on Mar 6-7 and 14" on Mar 10th. The last time was 9" on Mar 31st.

Maybe take the stuff off but keep it handy?

I just figured it up - we got 48" total snow so far this year. Average is 84".
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2002
  6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Hey--*this* thread is for whining, or at least moaning...

If you want to brag, go somewhere else....

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Sorry :(

I hate summer, and I hate mowing grass, and now I suppose I need to start shooting my turkey gun soon, and that hurts my shoulder.

Woe is me.
  8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Much better.... :)

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

March can be a very busy month around here (even had a 25"blizzard in 97 on April 1st.) but I'm not counting on it.
  10. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Last year I plowed 8" on March 26th.

Pineisland1 is East of me and has had twice as much snow. (their average is lower than mine:confused: ) I have had one more plow though and am still hoping for a few more storms. In past years I can remember plowing many times in March.
  11. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes... whining only in this thread please.

We've had about 12-inches of snow this season. I think we average about 36-38. Very sad. By the way, here's a nifty little site I came across if anyone's interested. It'll tell ya how much snow you've had month-to-date or season-to-date.

If you've all known about it, and I'm the last one to find out about it, then forget everything I just said.
  12. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

JD, around here they called that storm "Snowbud", many of my neighbors were without power for a week and many roads were impassable due to downed trees. That one scared me, I kept waiting for a tree to fall on me, didn't happen.

I was down to a t-shirt today. I try to be optimistic, but this past week's weather has me thinking about prepping the lawn equipment. I was looking at the maple buds yesterday and they're swelled up pretty good.
  13. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Done? Hell, when did we ever start? We've been done even before the season started. In all reallity sakes, it was a BIG waste of money to get the trucks ready, plows preped, salt stored, blowers tuned up, etc. But then again if we weren't ready, we would've had bucu amounts of snow all over the northeast. But I really think this winter is done. Let the mulching begin!
  14. casey

casey Banned

DONE!!!! IT'S OVER!!!!
    We had ONE real snowfall this season.
    Time to break out the LCO spring clean-up equip. & make sure the tines arn't bent!

15. Brian Akehurst

Brian Akehurst Junior Member

Like the saying goes, "It's not over till the fat lady sings"
    The problem is SHE HAS NOT SHUT UP YET! She has been singing since October! And she has sounded horrible!
  16. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

Since i rent a tractor for the january 31 event, snow had disapear. We got a lot of precipitation but was rain. snow is now over quebec city (remember we were on the list with salt lake) up to the east coast, they have a lot of snow and storm.

Around here st-Pats always bring a storm and my birthdays is in early april and was busy with snow often. but it will be the kind of snow who disapear 1-2 days after.

Powerbroom is ready fo clean up, did it in a hurry yesterday night. I got a mini flood in the garage with all this rain falling over the thick layer of ice in my driveway, all the water goes under the doors. First time i had to sweep water with it and It save me a lot of trouble. The concrete is old, uneven and some"pieces" are missing. So my regular Squigee failed on the job. I'm very happy because temps has drop and there is no heater in the garage.
  17. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

It's been so long since it snowed out I forgot what it looks like I hope I remember.
  18. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Sharpen blades, change the mower oil, and start your mulching. I'm going to order 500 yds of mulch and have it delivered to my house just for spite. ( no not really) But seriously, my equipment is off the trucks and I'm not looking for it to snow untill next season. Not that I don't want it to but, I have to face reality that this winter didn't have any snow and that's it.
  19. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The fix is in, folks. Brimow has just guarenteed at least one more event!:D

I've been tempted to pack up my snow stuff just to trigger the "Big one", but the Boy Scout in me won't permit it.
  20. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well I noticed today that all the bulbs I planted at my Mom's were poking up through the ground. Of couse I have seen full tulips covered by snow so it would not surprise me to still get something.