1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

are ultramount/unimount wiring harnesses the same? (truck)

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mattsautobody, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

i was wondering in the truck worong harnesses for the unimounts and the ultra mounts were the same for the plow. i have a 2004 ford and since they don't make unimount harnesses for that truck i was wondering if that was the same or if i should just mod the harness i have..

2. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

2004 f150 and the harness i have is for a regular halogen bulb truck 9pin btw

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Should run an Iso system on that truck Matt as a 9 pin relay system isn't compatible. Of course you'll need to change the plow side over to three plug as well.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

2 plug ultramounts are the same as unimounts

- B&B has you covered. you have to match the harness to the truck, then the truck to the plow.

5. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

well i just wanna have the right harness for my truck, but i have a unimount with the 9-pin connector, i wanted to switch it to a twelve pin so i can interchange between trucks and plows

6. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

I can still use the relay harness cause i dont use DRL seeing as how I'm not in canada lol

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the plow side is already 12 pin then yes, wire the truck with a 12 pin system.

8. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

well i poured over some western diagrams and the difference between the 12 and 9 pin connectors are pins 7,8,12 are for DRL, the ultra mount harness is the same. I just wonder what the iso module is about

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But what it also does is keep the lamps separated. Which is somewhat the main issue on the newer trucks as trucks built in the last 5-8 years are very sensitive to added on electricals such as plow lighting and how it interfaces into the trucks electricals and the plow brands had to adapt. You're '04 Ford is no different, DRL's or not.

10. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Matt , you should really consider using the correct ISO system on your F-150 , while it is expensive , (and a PIA if you have multiple plows) it will provide the correct wiring and circuit protection for the already inadaquate wiring in you truck from the factory.

Just as B&B said , the newer models are real sensitive to added accessories on the electrical system and electrical "cross talk" in the systems which can cause major headaches down the road .

Just my .02

TOM

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  11. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

well that makes more sense when people explain why things are so much better..i would like to find out how much one of these suckers costs...

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For a complete truck side Iso setup you can be on the high side of $500 depending on where you shop. Takes another C note or so to convert the plow side over too.

13. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

i found out that everything costs like 600 bucks. i found a relay setup that rodders use when they convert old headlights to HID's so they don't overload the original circuitry

14. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

it does the same thing with just wiring in a couple relays..

15. desmato

desmato Junior Member

you can make it work with a little "work"

I have an '05 Dodge running a 9 pin unimount setup without the Iso system. I am cheap and have an extensive auto electric background so I made my own "old style" headlamp harness to work with the relay system. the only drawback is that the "lamp out" light stays lit when the plow is connected. I used the signal from one headlamp to trigger the plow relays which are powered from the battery so as not to draw on the factory wiring. It has worked for over 4 years with no issues. Now I know that some vehicles power down a circuit when a fault is detected (shorted/open bulb or wires from an accident, etc) so an equivalent resistance that matches the bulb may need installed to keep the circuit alive. Fortunately my Dodge didn't require this.

Todd

16. Mattsautobody

Mattsautobody Member

i'm still confused as to how the plow lights draw more power then then the sealed beams. . . .

17. desmato

desmato Junior Member

Ohm's law, as resistance increases either voltage will decrease, current will increase or a combo of both. so when we add ~7' of 14/16ga. wire to the circuit in order to power up the plow lights, then add all the spade connectors on the bulbs, an ISO module (or relay) and a weather beaten moulded plug, we increase the resistance of the lighting circuit. I usually bypass the factory headlight wiring an all my vehicles and make my own using 12ga. wire with redundant relays that power the lights from the battery. the difference in lumens is more than noticeable without ever needing a higher wattage bulb.

In my opinion, all plow mfr's should power the lights through a relay that draws power from the battery, NOT from the vehicle harness, iso module or no.