1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are two edges better then one?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Shady Brook, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Has anyone rigged up, or purchased a device to attach a second plow edge to your front plow to more effectively backdrag? I read where some guys have tried and liked this setup? Does anyone currently sell one, are they safe and effective, or a silly gimick?

Thanks
    Jay

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I saw one of what you mentioned on a website one time. They just had some kind of drawing, not an actual picture of it.
    Looked like it mounted to the shoe mounts on the plow.
    I'll do some searching to see if I can find a link.
    Mark K

3. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

I have seen them on Fisher plows. It attaches to the ribs on the plow and drags behind until you back up and it digs in and scrapes down.

4. speedracer241

Last edited: Oct 11, 2002
  5. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

The new western ultramount plow has a back drag blade on it as an option. I will let you know what it looks like, mine sure be here next week.

John

6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

You guys are studs, thank you.

I have a Western, so I look forward to hearing what you got as well.

Thanks so much

Jay

7. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I had the plow shop fabricate one for me last year for my Western. It works great on residential driveways, saves a lot of time and gets right down to the pavement. The only problem is that the shoes won't fit on the plow because the blade is in the way.

Razor

8. Nova

Nova Member

RAZOR,

Where did you get that done? What was the cost?

9. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Nova

I had it made by the Kooy Bros. I had a cutting edge put on at the same time and I think I cost about $350-$400 for everything, but don't quote me on that because that was over a year ago.

Razor

10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Razor

Was that Canadian money? Do you have any pictures that you could post? Does it effect your front plowing at all? Any more info you could share?

Thanks alot
    Jay

11. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Shady Brook

Yes that was in Canadian money so it would be about .50 cents US lol. Sorry I don't have any picture( I can't afford a camera because I spent all my momey on the plow). The only drawbacks that I have found is a little more weight on the front end of the truck, the shoes won't fit on the plow because backdrag blade is in the way, and it does tend to leave more noticable scrape marks in the pavement. But overall I think it was worth the money.

Razor

12. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

scrapes

Residental customers around here wont put up with" noticeable" scrapes on their driveways

13. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

The answer for superior back dragging is a urethane edge. There are no scrape marks, period.

The blade is silent, so your residential customers won't even know you are there at 3 am.

Driveways are not typically flat, (nor are parking lots for that matter) and a steel edge will not conform to the surface. You can put all the downpressure you want on a steel edge, and the edge still will not conform to the surface, it will still ride on the high spots.

Urethane can conform to the surface, to a degree. Add downpressure, and the scraping ability improves even more.

That's my 2 cents....

~Chuck

14. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Urethane cutting edges sound great but like everthing else in this world there must be some sort of down side to using them compared to steel. Perhaps cost or perhaps they are not as durable as steel? I have never had any complaints about noise or pavement damage so I am happy with steel.

Razor

15. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Backdraggers work as well as pull plows. One draw back that I have found is with big snow storms, pushing the snow into a snow bank, raising the blade and backing up it tends to drag some snow back with it.

On hard packed snow, the backdragger with scrape right down to the pavement. Around here, welders are getting $200 to $300 to make and install them on a plow. Only plow they cannot seem to make them work on is Meyers plows.

Have some pictures will try to post, have trouble doing it.

16. speedracer241

Please do post those pics.
    I know i am curious to see.
    Thanks,
    Mark K

17. slplow

Here they are. I hope....

Last edited: Oct 15, 2002
  18. slplow

Again...

scott\'s backdraggers.jpg

19. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the pic's.

I wonder how you can keep both front and rear blades even, so that it scrapes equally well on both sides. It sure would be neat to mount a poly edge on the rear as well. Not sure if this would work well with my poly front blade, may defeat some of it's benifits. Does this edge effect the plow's tripping ability? I wonder if you could make some kind of box edges for it to collect more snow with? I love the creativity.

Jay

20. slplow

Jay, the back blade does not affect the tripping at all. I have also had one on western. The way that it works is the bolts that hold it to the plow are lose (nuts are lock nuts ) .The blade swings so when you drop the blade its down and you are ready to drag If you want to push with in 3'' of your truck moving the blade flops up.