1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are times really getting this bad??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John143, Oct 26, 2012.

1. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

I mean the spelling alone would make me RUN if I was a customer looking to hire someone.

How are these guys doing driveways for $25.00 bucks and parking lots for $50.00? :gunsfiring:

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Based on 25 bucks per plow that who give a seasonal price of of 625.00 ,not bad.

3. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

You mean to tell me $625.00 for all sidewalks, driveway, steps, salt and calcium is a good rate for a seasonal account?? :eek:

4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The nationals would hire this guy. Give him a "small" commercial lot to plow for $50 per push. Maybe a lowes or Kmart lot :)

Love the are instead of our

5. grandview

figure 350 for the driveway with nothing else. So another 325 for a couple minutes of shoveling and a 2 lbs of salt.

6. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Well good luck to them. $25.00 bucks isn't enough for me to even consider putting the key in my diesel.

7. grandview

Pick up 10 in a subdivision and you have 6,250.00 at about 2 hrs of work each time works out to about
    125.00 an hour.

8. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I'd take 100-200 at half that price if it was all in the same subdivision...

But I'd use a tractor blower...Thumbs Up

9. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

Problem is there are no "subdivisions" anywhere close in my area. Houses are 5 to 10 feet a part with 20 to 30 feet of sidewalks "most old broken slate". most have 2 car drives only about 15 to 25 feet long "cracked old blacktop" (waiting to catch your plow) they will be calling you in the spring for you to fix there old driveway free of charge. If you can find 2 customers on the same block that even have money to pay for snow removal you'd be in good shape. Most are real old people or real young. And the young ones do their own snow removal. Top all of that with all streets are mainly 2 lane roads "customer will be calling you back once the city plow drives by and pushes all the snow back in the drive". So with all of that said. I think they will work for that 25.00 bucks!

10. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

Actually that's better, you have density so the potential of a super tight route is huge.

I mean this as constructive but we(snow removal contractors in general) have to adapt, the economy sucks and people don't want to spend money, so lets figure out how to do it? I know, easier said than done.

11. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I think most drives here are going for 15 or so Ive heard some going for 8 or 9 bucks. 25 would be good money. If I could get $625 seasonal for drives I'd start doing them, the value home center down the road from me don't go for much more than twice that.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Around here that would be high. $499 for driveway and walks, no salt.

GV you need to get a calculator. :laughing:

13. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm guessing those $8 or $9 drives would be those "highly sought after" accounts downtown. The guy I sub for has a handful of them to fill in a route. I told him don't even think I'm going to put my truck in any of those driveways. Fortunately I don't go down there.

14. grandview

What,

10 drives at 25 =250.00x25 plows =6250/ 2x25=50 /=125 an hr.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I was looking at this one. 350+325=625??

Just busting your chops.:drinkup:

16. grandview

Exchange rate was being:D figured in.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I though maybe it was Ford math.

18. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I have a $50.00 per push parking lot...for me it's the right price

19. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Thats exactly what it comes down to......