1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are they over their heads on this one?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Dec 1, 2011.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

The new federal courthouse is open in Buffalo.I know the guy who is in charge of plowing it. They got a 5 year deal on it. They plan on using this toro groundmaster to do all the sidewalks.Not great overall pix ,but you'll get the idea on it. They are banking all this on one machine.

2. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

That machine is awesome. Ever seen one up close? With a blower or broom?
  3. grandview

He did show me a pix of it with the broom on it,it was delivered the other day,They paid 50k for it.
  4. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

Do they have to do the sidewalk all the way up to the street? I know a guy that does a couple Gov. buildings in Rochester and he only has to plow up to the city side walk. He uses a gator with a plow. Granted when it snows he doesn't stop plowing.
  5. grandview

All the way around. They do have those bollards at the edge of the sidewalks ,but everything from the building over.
  6. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

That's not going to be sufficient. How is he going to salt with a push spreader? The ground speed on that isn't that fast. I think he might have been better off with a UTV or toolcat for that money. Plus he can salt/ice melt then too.. Oh well. Everyone has a different perspective on what perfect is. Next time you guys get snow and we don't I'll take a trip down to see how he's making out.
  7. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

What attachments did they purchase with it?
  8. grandview

Broom and v plow.
  9. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

wow expensive piece of equipment
  10. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Nice equipment good to see our tax dollars at work.( Being slightly smart as*ed)
  11. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

50K for that? Nuts...
  12. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

um....where does he think he is going to push the snow? That picture does that site no justice. No where good to push it to lots of stuff in the way. Would have been better off with a skid steer and a 1 ton dump to haul it off.
  13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Interesting, I was quoted far less when I was pricing one a few years back.
  14. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

If you watch the videos of that it is a very capable machine we have a few around here with blowers on them and they are very powerful machines. The cruise right down sidewalks, if they are running the whole storm they will be fine.
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Yes I think they can plow all of the sidewalks with one machine. It's unbelievable what a good operator can do in a hour, plus it's Buffalo and people don't expect it black. They could have also spece'd one sidewalk machine and don't want to pay for another one.
  16. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

I think it would be fine to do the sidewalks at that site. Expensive machine for one site though. And no attached salter makes it more costly as you need two people and two pieces of equipment. I don`t understand why a track machine though. Why not wheels, it would be much faster. I would think a Holder or trackless would be a better option because of their speed and drop salter capacity.
  17. mike thunder

mike thunder Senior Member

I have grasshopper's outfitted for snow. With their blower attachment, one machine could clear up to 6 in. off that site in 3 hours, and that's taking things easy and not rushing around. That toro is more capable then my grasshopper's.
  18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah i could see 30k being high, 50k wtf?
  19. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

A pt30 outfitted with a blade, broom and snowblower would be cheaper and more effective imo
  20. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Those are sweet machines. A large park district in my area bought 2 of those last year, they do all the trails in the park with those using blowers and brooms.

The cool thing about those is that they convert back to a belly mount ZTR in the summer.