1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are These The Best Backup Lights?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DeereFarmer, Nov 5, 2007.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'm looking to get some really good backup lights for the F250. The thing is so long that the backup lights might as well be 3 miles away from the driver's seat. I need some really bright aftermarket backup lights. I found these from AW Direct. They look to be really good. Has anyone tried them out?

http://www.awdirect.com/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=6125&secid=68&linkon=subsection&linkid=99

I'm looking at the HL-901 series. Would a double beam be that much better? Price really doesn't matter, I just like the look of the single beam. These seem to be great lights and priced right. I don't want to cheap out on them.

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Ive never seen those but they look really nice. If you get them let us know how they are. I just bought some cheapies from autozone for this year to hold me over until I find something I really like. The ones you found look like what I was looking for.

3. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I have something similar except mine are TWO 55w hallogens per lamp for a total of 220w of backup light. Plenty bright!

Cheers
    Jeff

5. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

Thats what the ones I posted are... two 55 watt bulbs in each housing...

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I personally use these.... www.whitenight.com

I like them, because you plug them into your truck's light system, then they come on whenever you put the truck in reverse. They've also got a built in switch so you can turn them on and leave them on.

There's alot of guys that talk about they'd break as soon as they backed into a snow pile, but I've been running them for 4 years now on 2 trucks, and plow just like everyone else.

I've backed into stuff with them, they don't break.

I realize they're somewhat spendy compared to most, but I like the fact I can just unplug them at the end of the day, with no holes drilled anywhere.

Also, you have to realize that the little video is on dirt. When you're lighting up snow, you get a much much better shine.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  7. ppease

ppease Member
    from Maine

I am looking for some LED utility lights. Does anyone know of any? LED's seem to be the way to go, once you get over the purchase prices.

8. Lubold8431

Lubold8431 Member

From what Ive heard, LED's are not cutting it for backup lights...

9. CrownLawn

CrownLawn Junior Member

I agree that LEDs are not bright enough. Halogens with a minimum of 55watts is the best I have found in driving snow.:nod:

10. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Its a good thing you can add. Lets hope we will be using our additions skills counting thispayup :D

12. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

aw direct has the led utility light and it is brighter than the old trctor light but cost around $120 I have the oval led back up but they are new to me this year so time will tell how well they work.The one nice feature about using leds for backup lights is that because they draw low amps a relay is not needed so you have less wiring.

13. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

The link from the first poster also looks to be per light, not per pair...so these are still cheaper.

14. Green Feet

Green Feet Member

Lwnmwrman22,
    Thanks for the link. I like those lights. I just ordered them.

15. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

You won't regret it.

16. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Try a set of amber fog lights in a light or blowing snow and you wont go back to the white lights.

17. Diesel Sniffer

Diesel Sniffer Member

LED lights for vehicle recognition is great, but for work lights they are not good for many reasons in my opinion. They won't give as bright of a light, or as wide of a light pattern when using them to light your way. LED light needs to be focused and projected in individual housings in order to be effective. That is why you see LED tail lights on new vehicles, but not LED head lights. LED's give GREAT visibility and vehicle recognition when you hit the brakes for other drivers, but not good for "lighting the way" for the operator of the vehicle using them. If you want great visibility, spend the money and go with HID (High Intensity Discharge) fog/driving lights. Very spendy, but worth the money. Another downfall to LED's is the lack of heat that they throw off. We have LED lightbars on all of our squads at work and they are great for recognition, but in the winter....forget it. We actually put snow brushes in all our squads so the officers can wipe snow off the lightbar if they are stuck at a traffic crash, etc for any extended period of time. In blowing snow the lightbar gets covered and the LED light will not punch thru the snow. The old halogen rotators we used to have were not nearly as bright, but they melted the snow away no problem. Something to think about considering we are all out and about in the most adverse snow conditions. Hope this helps with that part of your decision. The lights you posted look like they would be really nice. IF you get them, keep us posted as to how you like them. Good luck...

18. Freddy130

Freddy130 Senior Member

I bought a cheap set of LED bulbs for my reverse lights and the were bright to look at but didn't send any type of beam out and didn't light up the ground. I don't know if it was just the bulbs or the way the LEDs work? Just thought I would add my experience with LED lights.

Ryan

19. TJC

TJC Junior Member

back up lights

I use "daylighters" on my backrack stainless steel housing they work great can see any thing behind you also have lights under bumper. :)

20. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Thanks fora ll the opinions guys. I still really like the ones that I posted. I'm going to think it over a little. I'll let you know what I go with and how I like them.