1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

are these prices good?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Jan 4, 2007.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

hey everyone, i just have a quick preliminary price question about 2 trucks i'm looking at. i haven't seen either in person yet, and i will, but out of curiosity are these prices ok? which one do you think is the better deal? btw, both are in my price range (@ $10, 000). also, i have a decently steep driveway to plow maybe 200 yards total. thanks:

1) 1999 gmc auto, V8 4.8L k1500 1/2 ton, 7 1/2 foot boss 4 way plow, blue, new body style, plow, bedliner, 120,000 miles, looks like a longbed to me $9,999

OR

2) 2001 chevy silverado 1500 short bed, auto, V6 4.3L, 4wd, abs, ac, airbags, ps, stereo, tilt, western minute mount plow dk, blue, 126,369 miles $6,995

2. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

sorry, one last thing...is there anything to look for when spotting potential future or even current problems on these trucks? also, is it even worth it to buy a truck with such high mileage or do these trucks last a long time? thanks a lot

3. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

I'm not sure values, but I'd like to offer some advise.

Don't rule out the 4.3lt v6 over the 4.8lt v8.

I was offered a used 2006 reg cab 4x4 1500 W/T with the 4.8lt v8, $16,900 but for me it didnt have enough power. the 4.3lt v6 may be pretty close in power.
    I got the 5.3lt v8 which had much more power, then the 4.8lt v8, but now I wish I would have gotten to 6.0lt max. It was like a hotrod engine.

I pull a large trailer in the summer, and just wanted more power.

I suggest test driving trucks with different size engines.

I have a 4.3lt CPI W code in my 94 S10 blazer which has 190,000 miles on it.
    And it has never had work done to it, I change the oil every 12k-15k miles.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
  4. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

That is alot of miles for a plow truck, especially since its a 1/2ton plowtruck..

If you are only doing your own driveway it should be O.K. But i dont really know what to tell you when it comes to which is better... They both have alot of miles, and I never like that. lol

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Test drive them and see what you think. Keep your eyes open for a larger truck. I agree with premier on this one, if it was a 3/4 ton truck, that mileage wouldn't be as bad as compared to a 1/2 ton.

Your gonna get what you pay for. Good Luck!!

6. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Also Make sure you put it in 4 wheel drive when you test it.
    A few years ago i was looking to replace a truck and I couldn't find one that didnt need a lot of work.

PremierLand,
    Are you located on merriman!
    I seen a few trucks down there last week, But I didnt notice the name on the side to busy driving.

7. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

nope not me. there are 2 other guys running around with that name. One guy doesnt have it licensed, and the other does, thus I changed my name last year, but only put my name infront of it.