1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are these people trying to scam me?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mylittlescoop, Feb 11, 2005.

1. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

Has anyone ever heard of sitestuff?
    I recieved a fax asking me to bid on 4 big local corporations then they said they found me at site stuff, they gave me a blank price form asking me to contact the maintaince manager for a walk through of all 4 propertys that are really not far at all I know exactly where they are.
    This form gave me all the contact information for the 2005-6 season I was thinking cuz I have been pestering all kinds of buisnesses for contracts but this one threw me for a loop, of course I called this company and they told me that they only use this particular site to network thier bidding...
    I called the company sitestuff then and they told me there is a membership price of 600 per year but the guy told me they are registered with bbb and are a legit comany..
    I spend hours and hours researching the internet and still never came across this company the top 25 property owners use this firm for some reason or another the reason being is that the comapny (sitestuff) recieves a check for handling the verification process of the provider, tax id, legit buisness ect...
    Has anyone ever heard of this web site or is it a scam?
    This paper work I recieved is to local to be a scam It is all to weird....ANYONE?

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Never heard of them, but run as fast as you can anyway. Why would anyone pay $600 for the opportunity to bid on something? I would stay away, especially if you can't find any local references, etc.

3. mylittlescoop

from nj

I agree 100 percent,the 600 is supposed to get you into the directory, I guess like Sams club or whatever I went to the website sitestuff.com I seen a lot of people located in there...I wanted to do some investigating on my own and ask some of these people the same question...
    :gunsfiring:

4. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

thiefs

I wonder where that scam was taught? Did they also want you to form 2 or 3 corporations, plow in 5 states, hold contracts with customers with one corp and contracts with corp B for the sub contactors? Did they offer a payment schedule of less than agreed on?

Where are the contract performance police for this scam? They get bolder and bolder by the day. I hope you charge them for wasting your fax paper.

Dave

5. all seasons

all seasons Member

scam ?

you say that you were sent all the contact info?then why don't you go ahead and call the manager for a walk through just to see what happens.cut this sitestuff right out of the picture.if it turns out to be legit on their end,you may end up with some decent accounts in the end.if you find out that someone wants money in order to talk to you then run.but make sure you are informed before you make a choice.just my take on it,this may turn out to be a scam after all,but if it were on my plate i would need to look it straight in the eye before i made a move,good luck.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Watch out for the ones wanting your "Tax ID number" (SS#) Why would you need it to bid a job? If you pay me major money that's another story.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Ever get the "Family History" book scam in the mail? Or the "Beauty Pageant" , for Daughter,or the.....

They want x amount to bid?

So you do a walk through. Then bid,only after paying 600 bucks? What if they already have the response for your bid? NO! Where are the main offices of each place to walk through and the offices of this site? How did they get your name off a list you never put it on?

If it looks like a duck.

8. mylittlescoop

from nj

Very good question indeed! Thats why I called site stuff...
    this is thier link https://www.sitestuff.com/WebRoot/homeIndex.jsp

I had never heard of this company before reciving this fax,thats why I called the comapny then the website... It is possible they found us in the phone book? Whe have a large ad under snow removal and we are also on yellow pages.com so there are lots of ways they could have gotten it but the fax number I dont know....
    The fax was 14 pagews long looked so legit it really really threw me for a loop it looked so real they even had diagrams of each site as well as exibit blanks for prices. I was so impressed witht he exibit part I threw my logo on the page and edited for my own personal use LOL :gunsfiring:

9. 4speed

4speed Member

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's a pretty good idea for a business, though :rolleyes: . Get companies to pay you for arranging snow services. Then get a bunch of contractors to pay you for the privilege of bidding on that work you've been paid to do. Lets see - if I could arrange 20 accounts at $5000 per, that's $100,000. Then get an average of 10 bids per account @ $600 per bid - that's $120,000 for total of $220,000. Then skip town. Or even if you did follow through, get a low bid of $2,000 per account - that's a payout of $40,000, leaving you $180,000 for having pushed no snow.

I would agree; if it looks like a duck...

11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Scam

Like I have said:

"We get up at 2am to go make an honest living. Other people get up at 10 am and figure out how to screw us out of the money we made from 2 till 10."

This is just another area management company wanting to live off of our labor. Why would someone want to add a middle man to there purchase of services or goods? What does Huston TX know about snow removal and ice control?

Dave

12. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Call the company back... they might be interested to know that they're only getting quotes from contractors who are stupid enough to pay this $600 fee. If the company's goal is to get a fair price for snow removal, they should be outraged by SiteStuff's practices -- I would be!

Jeff Pierce

13. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Have you ever heard of an "Online bidding process" ??

Alot of companies use them..

Lowes / Home Depot / Walmart..Property Mgmt companies (Large)

Easy way to do RFP's for maintenance contracts etc.

It can bite you in the rear if you dont win any bids :eek:

14. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Sure, it's the same basic idea as employment agencies, which have been around for decades. They make a lot of sense -- especially for larger companies.

However, the same rule applies for both employment agencies and online bidding agencies: NEVER PAY TO APPLY! If they want you to pay an application fee, they are not a reputable agency. (the company(s) they represent may be top-notch, but the agency should not be trusted. )Those employment classified ads in the paper each week that say, "$165 application fee." are a scam. "Application fee" is code for "Only suckers need apply."

What's really sad is that these shady employment agencies and online bidding agencies are preying on the people who can least afford their scam: The unemployed, and the new contractor trying to build his business -- it's unconscionable!

These agency folks are the lowest of the low! (in my humble opinion)

Jeff Pierce

15. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

this is an old forum from '05 but i'm kinda curious as to whether anyone has joined this company for bidding and whether or not you found it useful.

16. TierOne

TierOne Junior Member

Well...tough call.

The site does look legit, and we have something like that in Alberta where you post who you are, what you do, and government and some private bodies contact you for bids.

It is, however, free.