1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are there any tailgate units that will handle bulk rock salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kcplowman, Jan 13, 2010.

1. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Im thinkin about gettin a tailgate spreader for one of my trucks and was wondering if any of the tailgate spreaders will take bulk rock salt. I could really use one but don't want to be stuck using expensive ice melter.

2. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

western pro flow 2 does bulk and sand.

3. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

i have a snowex sandpro 1875 on one of my trucks and we use bulk all the time in it.

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Once had a Snow Ex 1875 did both salt and sand.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Da@@&% it beat me to the punch.

6. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

snowex 1875 and smaller snowexs with vibrator

7. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

snow ex 1075

8. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

I was kinda looking at a buyers tgs06b will that handle the bulk. I think it has a vibrator on it already. Just having a hard time swallowing the price tag on the bulk pro spreaders and on the pro flo spreaders for a tailgate unit.

9. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

I have a fisher speedcaster that is identical to the Western Pro-flo that takes bulk salt. I am actually selling it, if anyone is interested.

10. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

Price? I may be interested.

11. silvetouch

silvetouch Senior Member

1000 ... i see you are in kansas city though.... as much as i'd love to sell it..i'm sure you can find 1 locally. Just bein honest.

12. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

have a stainless air flo that spreads anything no problem.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  13. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

heres a quick pic

img0123[1] (2).jpg

14. mustangmike45

mustangmike45 Member

snowex 1075 (2 of them) and we use bulk. If its treated make sure you have a vibrator but other than that they work great! 3 years and no issues at all.

15. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

meyer blaster

16. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Pro Flo 2, awesome unit. I heap it over the top with bulk and it handles it no problem

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We had a Meyer tailgate spreader with vib at one time (i forget the model), and it worked great for spreading bulk.........but I have always thought the blaster units looked really good since coming out.

18. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I have the tgs06B and run bulk clear lane threw it and have very little problems if you make a grate for the top to keep the big chunks out and use the vibrator you'll have no problems

19. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

dont get me wrong, not a meyer fan at all. the company that originally made the blaster was magnuim. one heck of a unit. bulk, bagged, blended. SOAKING WET, frozen clumps...it spreads it. never a problem. its also less parts and things to go wrong then the proflow 2. was more reliable than any V box i have ever owned. if it wasnt for the capactiy thats all i would run.

20. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

So do peope fill the back of their truck beds with bulk and shovel it into the spreader?