1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are the polaris rangers good

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by westernboy16, Nov 20, 2005.

1. westernboy16

westernboy16 Senior Member

are the polaris rangers good for plowing and which is better four or six wheeler and would you go with the polaris blade or another blade thanks
  2. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 Member

I have heard that they tend to burn up belts so keep a extra belt or two handy. As far as blades go I personally like cycle country blabes. They make all sizes, and now have a plastic one out. You can also get a electric lift and a blade angle kit.
  3. westwind

westwind Member

We have a diesel 6 wheel JD Gator, has worked out great for us.
  4. nailerdog

nailerdog Member
    from WI

A buddy of mine has a 4 wheel unit and uses low range to plow. He loves it.
  5. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

i am a mechanic for the university of akron, we have about 18 polaris rangers.

i have never worked on something built so poorly in my entire life. the new green ones, with 50-100 hours on them have so much metal caked to the magnet when we drain the oil, its almost funny. They first 2 seconds or so after opening the drain plug is water, we have about 12 pop bottles full of the past oil changes for records and proof, all have about an inch and a half of clear, greenish water.

This is my opinion, ive heard good and bad, but im for the bad. they are load, vibrate too much, and are uncomfy.

If you own one, good luck. Polaris products are hit or miss. You either get a good one that lasts forever, or a lemon in 5 minutes.
  6. ljrce

ljrce Senior Member

polaris ranger

i have a 1995 polaris sportsman 400 4x4 and i am putting a polaris plow on it always keep a extra belt with u and some tools to change it with and be carfull if u buy a 2 stroke for plowing they tend to blow up espesially polaris 2 strokes why dont u get a 600 or bigger polaris or go with the 800 efi and put the 48 or 60 inch plow on the front of it and your all set
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

A buddy of mine has a Ranger, not sure the make of the plow but only problem he encounters is not enough downforce. The blade is pretty light and he can't scape down all the way. I have an estate that I plow for and to get out to the location I have to pass thru a private drive/road area and the guy that lives there plows with a Ranger also. Sucks towards spring when things start melting, I have to use 4WD just to get back to the estate I plow because he can't scrape down far enough and it builds up all winter long. I've asked him if he wants me to plow the road but he won't pay to have it done.

I think they work well some applications, it's not the fault of the Ranger, it's just that the plows for them are so light.

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Do your self a favor. But a Kubota RTV. Its diesel and 4x4. Plus you can get a blizzard 680LT for it. (thanks to our beloved JERRE designing the mounts)

Its a deadly combo. Fast and turns on a dime.
  9. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

agreed about the kubotas damn good machine