1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are the new Western plows all fleet flex?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mkwl, Dec 15, 2014.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hey Guys-

Are the new Western plows all fleet flex? Meaning, if I have an 8' Pro Plus mounted on my dump truck as a backup for this winter, will I be able to put that same 8' pro plus (off truck only) on a different truck next year, and put a wide-out on the dump truck next year? Without changing truck side wiring, mounts, etc.

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

All currently produced Westerns are fleet flex. So if your 8' pro plus is fleet flex, any fleet flex plow will hook right up.
  3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Ok thanks for the info - how can you tell if a plow is fleet flex or now (for a slightly used one)? What year did they start making them?
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

It's easy to recognize a fleet flex because they have only two plugs at the grill. (One 11 pin for all the lights and then the power cable which has two large, hot all the time, pins and two small pins for multiplex communication.) The previous generation had three plugs. (The same 11 pin for the lights, a second multi-pin plug {3 pins for straight blade, more for Vs} for analog controls, and finally the large two pin plug for switched battery power to the pump motor)

Another way to tell is the presence of the plastic shroud. The Wide-out and MVP+ both have a round plastic multi-part shroud covering the hydraulic unit. The multiplex straight blades have a single piece plastic shroud covering the hydro unit.

The MVP+ and Wide-out have been multiplex for a couple years now but multiplex straight blades rolled out later. First the HTS and then the other straight blades a year later. Here at my shop in Calgary we got our first contractor grade straight blades with multiplex this year.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  5. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

I didn't want to create a new thread just to ask a question so I will ask here. I have an mvp fleet flex ultra mount. Could I get a wide out and just hook it up and go?? I know of a person selling a wide out and was thinking of buying it. I think I would have the best of all worlds having a v that I can hook onto if need be. Also if it happens to be an ultra mount 2 would it still work?? Thanks
  6. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Yes, that's the beauty of Fleet-flex, they are interchangeable. However, you will have to make sure that the configuration of both plows is set correctly for your truck, but that is easily adjusted.

The Ultra II has different headgear. The Ultra original used tubes for the lift frame but they tended to rust and break off at the bottom. The Ultra II uses flat, formed steel and looks like it won't break.... but give it a few years and we shall see. Other than that the horns and truck mounts are identical, no problem there. Just drive in, plug up and go.

I think you will like the Wide-out once you try it out. I ran both but only appreciated the V for cutting through big drifts on rural driveways. The Wide-out is much better for big parking lots where you are pushing a lot of snow a long way.