1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are the factory cutting edges hardened?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by oldmankent, Nov 21, 2006.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've got an old 25 series steel cutting edge that has never been used. 3/8" x 6" x 8'. I've heard a couple of different things about the hardness of these blades. One they could be hardened through and through, but if they were they would most likely just break when hitting an obstacle. Second, is that they are hardened on the surface only about .030". third, they are not hardened, but are roll formed, which is harder than cold rolled, but not as hard as hardened. Can anyone enlighten me on this? Reason for asking, I'm wanting to weld braces onto the back of the cutting edge to mount another edge onto that one for extra plow height. I know there are better ways, but they aren't as cheap. Thanks, Nick.

2. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You want extra plow height??? I think your hitting your head up against a wall trying to "extend" the cutting blade. The natural roll and design of the blade actually works by rolling snow forward which is different than the typical flat plow push. If you want to keep snow fall off then get a rubber top flap for the plow or a different blade.

3. oldmankent

Stock height of my truck is 2-3" taller than the blade wants to sit. The lift piston bottoms out on some of my route. I need height at the bottom of the plow. As to the whole rolling of snow, I don't think it will affect the performance of the plow. I'm only talking about 3" max. After all, it will be my head banging against the wall, not yours.

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

oldmankent,

Cutting edges on all Sno-Way plow models are C1080 high carbon steel.

5. oldmankent

Thanks for the info. So, how about the plow frame. What type of steel is that made out of? It seems to be quite hard as well.

6. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

The majority of the plow is produced utilizing high strength low alloy steels of various degrees. This information is considered to be a trade secret and the higher ups would :gunsfiring: me if I went into any further detail.

7. oldmankent

Thanks for the info.