1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are Sno-Ways a good, heavy duty plow?

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by Sweetpete, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

I'm just curious why I don't see more Sno Ways around my neck of the woods. We have mainly Meyer, Western and Boss. There are also some Blizzards and Curtis, but I don't think I've seen 1 Sno Way.

Be honest, do the guys who use 'em love 'em or was it just something you came across because the price was right.

Where can I get a good comparison between cost and quality with the Sno Way product?

Lastly, thanks in advance for your opinions. I'm NOT bashing. I just want some honest answers before I make my next decision for another plow on my next truck!!

You guys are great

2. Pearcelawn

Pearcelawn Senior Member

Love it!!

This is my first year with the Sno Way and I have only had the opportunity to use it once but with the down pressure and all the other features I already love it. I have plowed a lot with a Meyer's before this and the differences are great. I of course cannot attest to durability but in a side by side comparison it's looking good. Structurally they look comparable especially with the advanced technology behind it.

I am already a fan!!:D

Hope this helps.

3. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Well I can tell you I have used a western and a meyer.I love the snoway wouldn't trade it for any other plow.I got mine for the down pressure because I have a 1500 truck and it really helps out when plowing.The price wasn't right though.LOL After install it was 4250.Come to my neck of the woods Indianapolis all you see is snoway.

I say Snoway.Western NO way:waving:

RCGM
    Brad

4. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Sweetpete,

As far as durability is concerned, we offer the industry's leading commercial warranty:
    5 years on all plow structural components and 2 years on all electrical and hydraulic components. Our snowplows are over 90% robotically welded and produced with better grades of steel than most our competitors. Optional hydraulic down pressure system will back drag and scrape better than the competition as well. You can learn more about our fantastic products by simply visiting our factory website, http://www.snoway.com. I thank you for your interest in our products.

Happy Holidays,

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

sno way

I too have used meyers and western. I have been using Sno-way now for over 6 years. They are the best plow I have ever used. I have used the 7 1/2 straight blade and now run a 81/2 V-plow. The down pressure and the light weight are the best features of these plows. The prices are well worth the money you spend. I use mine comercially and haven't had a problem. Tim Once you use a V plow you will never go back to a straight blade xysport

6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I am on my second Snoway. The first performed great. It was an ST on a Toyota 4Runner... I now have a 29 on a Dodge 2500. Cant wait to use it this winter..... Quality is very high......

Derek

7. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Here's a picture of a Sno-Way...do you still wonder if its heavy duty???

108" X 32" mold-board being pushed by 12,000lbs of machine....

yeah its tough wesport

I'm confident your 3/4 pick up won't over stress it...

Don't see fisher offering an equipment hitch like Sno-Way....wonder why?

244J front small.JPG

8. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

This is mt second year with my Snow-Way and I love it.:gunsfiring:

IMG_0692 75 56.JPG

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Durable, yes I don't think there is a more dependable unit on the market. As a plus they offer a great warranty.

The best thing in my opinion is the hydraulics. Over-spec'd for the purpose, this is the same motor/pump unit that is used on hydraulic/electric dump bodies with a different valve body.I'm a dealer and i have motors and hydraulic pumps gathering dust on the shelf, they just don't fail like some over the other units do.

I'm a Vee blade fan, but the straight blades are awesome as well.

I have commercial contractors with fleets of 7 and 10 units on everything from tacos to 550trucks.

Other manufacturers are starting to change over to the snoway flex frame style of moldboard. They're all scrambling to find ways to drop weight and retain strength to deal with the requirements of today's vehicles.

10. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. Obviously, you guys know what you're talking about. I push part-time but I still do larger commercial lots (hotel, McDonalds, a couple businesses) and I require a good quality plow.

Obviously, you feel the Snoway's are very well built, quality products. Here's another question: Why don't I see them often around the Cleveland area? Is it because Meyer is built in town or is it just because we don't have many dealers here?

I'm just curious. I'd like to see one up close and personal, ya know? To actually see the quality and what all goes into it. Also, what would the average cost be for a 8' straight blade with down force hydraulics? If it's outrageous expensive, then maybe that's another reason I don't see many.

Thanks again guys...your knowledge amazes me.:salute:

11. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

"Here's another question: Why don't I see them often around the Cleveland area? Is it because Meyer is built in town or is it just because we don't have many dealers here?"

Here in Maine it seems that everybody and his uncle owns a plow, and yet I do not recall seeing a Sno-Way in my neck of the woods until I bought one last October.

We don't have a dealer in Maine - I had to go to New Hampshire to get the Sno-Way. Not a big deal, but it will be a 4 hour drive in case I ever do have problems with the plow. On the plus side, there's no sales tax in New Hampshire, so that was a nice little break!

So I imagine it may be an "out of sight, out of mind" type of thing for many Mainers looking to get a plow. And of course, Fisher plows are based in Rockland, ME. That could account for something too!

I found out about Sno-Way after doing quite a bit of research because that's the kind of consumer I am. I needed a solid plow (not a toy) to work with my 4Runner and I can tell you that I'm impressed with the Sno-Way so far. Really!

When I drove the Sno-Way home from New Hampshire it turned a lot of heads up here in Maine. Still does when I go through town with it. People do notice the plow and I have the feeling they'd stop and ask me about it if I were parked somewhere. If we do get a dealer in Maine I imagine I'll see a few more Sno-Ways cruising around.

:drinkup:

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sometimes the slightly extra cost of a full blown snoway backs people off. If you price them apples to apples they a VERY competitive, once you add down pressure, wireless, and a poly skin they can be a little more. It takes a educated buyer to appreciate the difference. Until a dealer takes on the full line and promotes the brand the street numbers remain small. I find while many customers start looking a "Apples" the "Oranges" soon attracts them, particularly when upgrading to all the bells and whistles doesn't price them much above the competition.

In our area it's not unusual to see snoway on the road, the numbers grow steady.

Your local snoway dealer, go to their web site for more choices.

Cleveland Expert Tech Automotive 4310 Mayfield Rd.

216-691-9150

expertech@mechanicnet.com

13. goose06

goose06 Junior Member
    from NE Ohio

I too never saw a snoway in the area until I talked to a friend who happened to be a dealer. I ended up buying one and now that I am paying attention I am starting to see more and more of them. My dealer was in Geneva but they have a couple in the Mentor area so I guess I am covered.

14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

prices

Whatever the price is over time you will know it was money very well spent. Here is something to look at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-ft...003QQitemZ130061140320QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sno-...018QQitemZ280061480914QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-5-...003QQitemZ130061139024QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

prices vary from dealer to dealer. I bought my V-plow 2 years ago. It was used as a dealer demo and I bought it installed for $2500. Good luck on the search and you will love the plow once you start using it. Tim

15. snoking

snoking Senior Member

i run 10' sno-ways on my 1 ton and 3/4 ton fords i wouldnt trade them for anything right....hope the keep it up so the next one will be a one also...

16. TazLandscapes

TazLandscapes Senior Member

Hey Maine Mike
    What part of the state you from i am from portland.
    There is a snoway plow dealer in maine Dealer name is Franks auto repair out of old orchard beach.
    The only reason i know this is before i bought the diamond for my dodge me and my dad were looking at purchasing a snoway. just the price was a little bitout of range..
    I am thinking of selling my diamond and purchasing a snoway 8.5 Vee Plow before next winter.

Thanks
    Mike DiBiase
    Tazmad98@YAhoo.com

17. MaineMike

MaineMike Member
    from Maine

Hi Taz -

I'm located in the Bangor/Brewer area. Is the dealer in Old Orchard Beach still in business? I heard that a few months ago the owner of that business was involved in some sort of car accident or something and had to close the shop. But I don't know if this is true or if things have changed since then (if it is true). I heard that he ran a real good shop and a good dealership, so I hope he's alright.

The problem for me is that I have this nice new plow and no friggin' snow to plow!
    How come Denver gets to have all the fun??
    :jester:

Cheers
    Mike

18. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Sno Way Rocks

Heading into our 4th winter with a snoway 9' HT (pictured left) We have used fisher,curtis & kubota polws in the past. Very impressed with snoway, great plow system, we are here to stay!!

19. beungood

beungood Member

They are awesome

While I think I got a good deal ($1500 shipped)for my 8' HT with down pressure and extra control box, I as looking at them anyways and compared the various brands. I wouldn't go with a different brand ,only an updated version of a snoway. This unit plows great and the down pressure feature is awesome. It is every bit as durablwe as my frinds brands,. I seem to have less breakdoiwns and electrical problems and the install seemed to take less time than the Other plows we have installed.

20. Doug Montanari

Doug Montanari Member

SD-Dave I was thinking of buying a snoway plow for my skid loader and saw this pictur of yours on a wheel loader are you happy with it? Did you look a box plows for your machine also prior to buying your snowway blade?