1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are pull plows worth it?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by benabarlow, Dec 25, 2008.

1. benabarlow

benabarlow Member
    from vermont

Are those snowman pull plows worth buying? Do they realy cut your time in half if you do a fair amount of back dragging?

2. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have one, and am looking for another. I dont know if they cut your time in half, but they save a little time. In my book, the main reason for owning one is they do a much better job than backdragging. Only thing I havent tried is a plow with downpressure for back dragging, that may work out nice too.

3. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I had an Arctic Plow Partner on the back of one of my old trucks and loved it. I would not plow driveways without it. On the other hand the guy I sold it to does not use it because it made the truck too long for getting into tight places.

4. benabarlow

benabarlow Member
    from vermont

Well the down pressure isn't to bad actually. I have a back drager on a fisher plow, it works quite ok untill there is a large snow fall. In these conditions it tends to lift the plow up from the snow build up. Like they say"the plow was meant to push forward". Do you ever get stuck with the snow behind you and in front of you??

5. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I have one that I built myself and I love it. It is the best way to do driveways and it also works very well on inside turns. If you are pulling deep snow you have to pile it more often with the front plow or you can get stuck in the snow piles you are pulling.

6. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

The way I use the plow, no I dont get stuck. It only pulls the snow that is between the front and rear plows. When you back in and drop both blades, the front one pushes the majority of the snow anyway.

7. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I have never pulled up a pile that I couldn't back over, but I have pulled quite a few that the front plow wouldn't clean up. When the snow is just the wrong type of wet and sticky, running the truck over it once packs it so that the front plow won't clean it up the first time over, and sometimes not all all no matter how much you try to scrape it. A front plow with down pressure would probably fix the problem.

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I bought a new 7' Snowman this past fall and I've used it a lot so far this season. I have several accounts where it's saved me considerable time...instead of taking an hour it's taking 45 minutes. Those 15 minutes add up a lot over the course of an evening.

There are some things that I don't like...in particular I don't think the side shields are heavy duty enough and I don't like how the plow trips instead of holding firm and scraping down. Also, it's ridiculously difficult to unhook. I haven't tried to unhook it since Thanksgiving because I don't want to give myself a second hernia :cry:

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yes every penny and then some. depending on yoru account , 50% time savings/

and anyone that says that they can just push towards a garage door, then pull it back .//and claims they get agood result...HAS NEVER USED a back plow with DP. I use daniels... and my wings are plenty heavy... it only makes the truck a little longer...

10. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

how hard is it to back up to a garage, visibility?

11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

It took me a few hours to gauge the distance between the back of the plow and the garage door. I'm at the point of where I can get within a foot every time. I have the passenger's side mirror lowered on my truck enough so I can see the plow and see the door.

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

take off your tailgate...ull be amazed

13. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Mine is a frame mount instead of the newer receiver mounts, so my tailgate has to be off. You can see fine by tipping down a mirror, or if you arent confident enough to do that, a quick turn around and you can see right where youre going.

14. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting one of these too. Is it unreasonable to think I can just back up to the garage and then just drive away? Or is there a lot of clean up involved from the rear plow?

15. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

No you can not do that you :realmad: :gunsfiring:

I can't stand guys who back up to the garage and then pull all the snow out onto the street and disperse it there. YOU CAN NOT LEAVE THE SNOW IN THE STREET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I don't leave snow on the street JD lol. What I was wondering is after you drive away from the garage don't you now have 2 piles to put somewhere instead of just one and therefore loosing any time gained on the clean up side. LOL leave a nice big pile on the street that is funny **** lol. You really think people are going to notice 2 of them lol

17. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

OK i misinterprited what you said but I am telling you that there are several many guys here in Grand Rapids Michigan area with back plows who drag the snow out into the street and then raise their blade off the ground 2" and let the snow disperse on the road behind them. I have watched them do it. Then, I end up listening to my customers complain about how bad their road is all the time. HMMMMMMMM, wonder why.

18. NickGB

NickGB Senior Member

Got any pix?