1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

are people nuts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rewoodworking, Jan 21, 2004.

1. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

i cant believe what i was hearing from people during the last storm we got 5 inches and people where telling me this is nothing we don't need it plowed

well now it is freezing out and the snow is still here and driving on it turned it to ice ill bet they wish they let me plow:confused:
  2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Time to raise salting rates:D
  3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Happend to me also, well sort of.we got about 4 to 4 1/2 inches i plowed everyone knowing it would get cold and freeze.Well the lady decided it wasnt a lot of snow and would only pay me half price. she said i didnt need to do it,I told her my trigger was 3 inches like stated on the contract and if shes not willing to pay for my services she can go somewhere else.Needless to say she told me to send a bill for the two storms shes owes and she will pay it all.Will see what happens :rolleyes:
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Next time it snows, I wouldn't touch it.:nono: Also, if they call don't answer your phone.:D
  5. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Common sense ...

... would tell people snow plus freezing temps for a few days eqauls slippery disaster. SO I called all my customers Sunday night, explaining if I don't plow their driveway will just become a sheet of Ice. Only one had me do it. Well, I bet they're all kicking themselves, at least if they can stand up long enough on their skating rinks. Maybe some of 'em learned a lesson, but unfortunately probably not.
  6. rewoodworking

rewoodworking Senior Member

i dont get it its not really alot of money to plow compaired to how long it takes to shovel

we had 5" and people said no its not that bad we dont need it done what the hell:confused:
  7. Remsen1

Remsen1 Senior Member

sounds like your price just went up for doing their driveway. customers like this get put on callup. they have to call me to get it done, then I charge based on the amount of hard pack and how desperate they really are and I do it while doing my normal route. This means I don't go out and make a special trip for one callup person.
  8. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Plowed all my drives with only 2" knew it was going to be cold and wet snow ices over. Driveways that have not been touched and side roads that were not plowed are now skating rinks.not a spec of snow has melted. Even the main roads have snow on the center lines from a few days back too cold for anything to melt.
  9. dylan

dylan PlowSite.com Veteran

That's strange. Around here, my customers call me if we get 1/2" or 1". Of course my trigger is 2" but some of them don't mind paying extra for getting it done when the amount is less than the trigger. If you can sign those customers up for a seasonal contract they will want you there every day! lol
    Have a great day
  10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

This 2 or 3 inch trigger shouldnt mean you dont plow less than that , that is just the amount that you start at if there is going to be more than the "trigger" amount. We "start" plowing at 2 inches OR at the discression of the Contractor ( me being the contractor) . We explain to the customer that in order for us to plow the big snows we also have to plow the little snows, These are snow plows not ice plows.

Think about it like this A lot of you guys cut grass. If you give me a price of $25.00 to cut my lawn in April, and I call you in July to come do the job but, the lawn has not been cut at all since April is the price still the same?
  11. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

yeah right they are nuts.. just remember if they slip and fall on this snow that had become ICE.. they will want you clean it up the ICE!! :confused: yeah bill them high on the salt to clean up.

they slip and fall on the last snow changed to ice and sue you :confused: :realmad:
  12. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I plowed all my accounts eccept for 2. It's ok though, I BANGED those two for some serious salting! I Think they now realized what they did. payup
  13. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

The customers that only want to call you when they need it, tend to be the cheapest and most difficult to please. In the end , their driveways also cause the most wear on the truck as well. I now just keep the rates high for those people and it basically keeps them away. When they whine about the price, I 'whine' at the cost of transmissions after glacier moving.

One neighbor called once or twice during a big storm. He waited and waited and then got so stuck, he blew the engine in his Nissan! $3500!! Priceless to me. Guess what, he still doesn't have the drievway cleared regularly.
  14. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

How the hell did he blow the engine? Did he drain the oil on the ice for traction?
  15. james731

james731 Member
    from ny

i have a guy like that too when it snows alot he wants it plowed but anythign less than 8" he doesnt want it plowed we have yet to get another big storm but this weekend supposovly there is 1 coming i cant wait til he calls me and wants it plowed he was complaining that my price was 200 and haggled me down to 175 when he calls back to plow its 500 firm afterall he ownes a business he needs me to plow his lot more than i want to plow it its not plowed he loses money the irony is that ist an insurance agency of all people he should know what happnes when people fall
  16. acornish

acornish Senior Member

contract says 3 inch -- so 3 inch im out they dont want it done ok sign here-- when they call cause its ice price doubles
  17. bcf

bcf Senior Member

yeah, I'm preparing myself for the inevitable calls from customers wondreing why there is still ice on their driveway. Well it is called a SNOW plow, not an ice one. My one friend I plow for didn't have me do his drive last storm, and didn't even shovel it, bow he says it's a solid inch of ice. When will they ever learn?
  18. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

its now been 7 days since it snowed and all side roads and drives that were not touched are all ice. I hate it when people try to have you plow two feet of snow off there driveway I have done it before my F150 will do it but why put that kind of stress on the transmission. Last big storm a guy flagged me down to do a 100' by 25' drive with 26 inches of wet snow on it. I told him $120 and he laughed so i told him to call someone with a loader and see what they tell you. Well he must have called because when i drove by his house again on the way to one of my other houses he flagged me down again. He told me that they told him $200 possibly more depending on how long it took them so i said fine I will do it for $160 so he gave it to me. It took me a while and afterwards i told him that i was not interested in buying a new transmission and if you ever want your driveway plowed call me when there is six inches don't wait till its over and try to do it your self and find out that its almost impossible. Especially for a fat a$$ like him.
  19. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Most of us has snow plows and not dozers....Rob
  20. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Bown engine while stuck

I guess he just kept on revving it and spinning the wheels. He must have had the economy sewing machine engine version with no additional available horsepower.