1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are old things worth it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MowingisMaddnes, Nov 24, 2003.

1. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

Are old things worth it?

I live in Illinois(truck I use now is only 2WD and does fine)IT”S FLAT HERE!
    and I plow commercial parking lots

THE dilemma.... I run a small snow removal service that has been growing and is in need of a backup plow. Currently, I have two trucks used for landscaping and lawn service that are not equipped with plows.

1994 F-350 Dually 2WD AUTO V8 460ci w/ pickup bed

1980 F-350 Dually 2WD 4spd(w/Granny Low) straight V6 w/dump bed

My first line of thought was to equip the 1980 Ford with an inexpensive plow(total cost $800), load it down with sand for traction and use the low gear setup to help with moving snow. So, I looked for an inexpensive plow, found a 7’6” Western that fit a 1980 Chevy for $400.00 and planned to have a mount customized for my 1980 Ford. However, the plow is going to cost about $1000.00 to become operational (customize mount, new electrical wiring, hyd. hoses, and control cables). About $600.00 more than I am willing to spend without knowing some more things like:

1) Should I just forget putting a plow on the 1980 Ford and buy a new or newer poly plow for the 1994 Ford.

2) If so, would the 1994 even push snow??? Now with normal tires and no weight in the back it gets stuck in 1 inch of snow! If I loaded it down with a ton of sand, do you think it would handle a plow?

3) If I put the Western plow on the 1980 Ford will the front end handle the weight??? with an $800 budget I can’t put air bags on the front...

What’s your opinion and advise? Old or New AND will either WORK???

Help the snow is coming quickly I believe...I BELIEVE!!!
  2. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Where in Central Illinois are you located? Canton here!!

Even in our flat area I have a lot of doubts about using a 2WD for plowing but there is no reason your '94 shouldn't do as well if it has the same tires and weight in it. How long have you been plowing? I've been plowing for about 5 years (non-commercial) and can only remember 1 or 2 really heavy snowstorms in that period of time. We've been through quite a dry spell. I think you'll end up wishing you had a 4WD if we get hit hard this year with a LOT of snow. The last two trucks I bought were 4WD complete with plows for about $1000 each. Sure, they were old junkers but they ran good and got the job done. Just keep an eye on the Tradin Post (which is online at www.tradinpost.com). There are good deals out there.

As far as the weight your 350's should have no problem handling a 7' 6" plow or even larger. I'm not sure of the cost of airbags but a set of Timbrens are about $130-$150 and easy to install.

The reason I've never gone commercial is I have a full time swing shift job. However, if you need a back-up and if you're close enough, you can feel free to call me and see what my work schedule is and maybe I can give you a hand? My current set-up is a '95 Dodge 4X4 (with a 2 year old Western plow that cost me more than my last two trucks combined). So I don't mind "hiring" myself out as a sub to help defray the costs on this one.

In any case I hope this helps. Feel free to e-mail me at digor@aol.com if you want to contact me privately.

Don (Goose)
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2003
  3. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

My 79 Ford Bronco broke the front ujoint. I tried replacing it but being a yard truck everything was rusted beyond removing. So..........I loaded the back with 700lbs of sand and plowed in two wheel drive. I NEVER once had a problem!! As for the plow, get a new plow for the 94 and make some money!!:D
  4. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

first you need at leasst an 8 foot plow to cover the wheel base on a dually 2nd i personally think your looking for problems plowing in two wheel drive yea you do fine because of the weight you put in there but eventually the snow will be to heavy one day and you will need four wheel drive.im not tring to break your stones i just happen to know a guy that did and said the same thing as you and thats what happened he just couldnt push the snow far enough to clear the lot short runs were ok but couldnt push the whole lot
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

before you mount a plow to either truck make sure the plow is 8ft or bigger. 7.6ft is useless on a dually ford. the 94 ford and a brand new plow sound much better then a older truck with a older plow
  6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Peoria here. Where are you MowingisMaddnes?

I plowed for several years with this 79 F-350. It was 2ed, abd a beast. Never got stuck, you just need to know your limits of the vehicle. We always had at least 1 ton of sand, steel plate, bowling alley...(clean up on a job, and didnt make it to the dump before it snowed, it worked well tho) Plowed the 'blizzard' of january 1999, 18" of snow and 3-5' drifts!

7. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

I live close to Springfield IL...

Thanks for all the replies so far! I hope they keep coming. You guys are on top of your game with the length of the plow and using a dually. I plan to add ProWings to the 7'6" plow if I go that way...should get me another 20”

But I still need more input about my original questions...

I am stuck with 2wd for now and as I said no problems here with that(not a lot of snow, flat, and other good equipment that is 4WD)

I really have doubts that the 1994 Dually will perform. :eek::rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:Is anyone else here at Plowsite using a newer Crew Cab Dually long bed with 2WD? I just have more confidence that the 1980 Dump w/ manual trans and low gearing will push the snow...

Are Timbrens really that good of a solution and easy to install? I have zero experience with them and none of the shops around here carry them. Last year I had problems with my 1994 Chevy scraping the road when I hit a bump, but a new set of better front tires seemed to fix the problem.

Back to what I really need: Your opinions on which truck to setup as my backup. I am leaning to the 1980 Ford because I already bought a used plow to customize for it and I am more confident in its ability to move snow. What to you guys think?

Thanks, and I love Plowsite! aj
  8. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Go to the first thread in this section on the FAQ. Not the top of the page but the first thread and click on it. Then click on the hyperlink located in the first post. You should then be able to go through many items that should be able to help answer your questions.

You might also go to the Ford Truck discussion section and post questions directly related to your truck. The specific trucks sections have really great "experts" that could answer your questions on your truck.

Finally, on Timbrens they are covered in the FAQ thread that I told you about, and you can use the link below to go to their website. On their website you can actually download the installation instructions to your exact truck. You can judge for yourself how easy they are to install.

9. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member

I cant follow your directions for finding the FAQ???