1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are MVP controllers junk?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Keltic, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Keltic

Keltic Junior Member

Hi, I'm really happy with our new 8 1/2' MVP, but we are on our third handheld controller and that one is starting to screw up too. Seems the leads exiting the base of the controller break and it loses power. The local dealer doesn't want to give us a 3rd one and I'm going to have to climb the ladder to get some satisfaction. Anyone else having problems? Otherwise a fine heavy-duty product but it's being let down by one cheaply made compontent. Thanks FMK

2. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I am on my second controller and it is starting to screw up too. I may try a joystick next.

3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Are you guys talking about the brand new redesigned v-plow of this year or the the MVP from last year?

4. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Mine is the mvp plus poly

5. Keltic

Keltic Junior Member

Mine is new this year

6. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Mine died last night. Was brand new in December 2006.

Dealer replaced it for free. He said that Western is aware of the problem and is "working on a fix".

I asked him if the controller that he just gave me will have the problem; he said yes, over time.

7. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

I bought a 8.5 mvp in december, and yesterday the controller took a crap, right in the middle of my route in a blizzard. I called the dealer I bought the plow from, which is not nearby.note to self to buy my next plow closer. He did overnight me a new controller, which i recieved today, hooked it up and It didnt work. I called the dealer back and he told me to check the fuse in the main control box under the hood. he told me that if there was a intermittant power disruption it usually blows a fuse. sure enough it works. now I have to wait for western to validate my warranty, and return my $300. I still love the plow, just the crappy controller. I still have not gotten used to a hand held controller. my other truck with a straght blade has a joy stick mounted on my floor shift.

8. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

I watched my western dealer repair one yesterday. It is the wires breaking in the cord. an easy fix really. took him like 3 minutes.

9. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Where abouts was the broken wire? Right at the end of the contoller or inside the controller?

Could you tell if the wires actually broke, or did they just become separated from the controller board inside the controller?

I would think that if the wires themselves broke, they would just break again after being fixed.

I had one go bad last week, and got a replacement free from the dealer. However, I also bought a spare because I didn't want to be stuck in the middle of a storm with a dead plow.

10. getmydrift

getmydrift Member

the wires in my controller broke at the bottom of the controller. it might be when i am holding it in my right hand, i sometimes rest it on the seat, bending the wire and putting pressure on where it goes into the controller. doesnt seem to be to bomb proof. if it happens again i think a permanent mount may be the answer. im thinking about getting some velcrow and permanently attaching it to my hand.

11. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

You shouldn't have to do anything special with the controller; should be able to hold it and use it, as that is what we paid for.

I've always been very careful with mine anyway in terms of not stretching it, really bending it, etc. I keep it in the cupholder (top down) in the center console with the wire across my lap when I'm not using it. Still went bad on me.

Hopefully DD/Western/Fisher will be responsible and give everyone a brand new controller when they come up with a fix.

12. Keltic

Keltic Junior Member

I just saw the post about Western facing a problem with the Tornado spreader, sure hope they step to the plate on this matter! Cheers K

13. metrolawncare

metrolawncare Junior Member
    from Midwest

I've had a couple go bad...really annoying if it happens at 3 am and you don't have a spare....

14. bob frapples

bob frapples Junior Member

Are the simptoms of a bad controler the power shutting off and the plow doing something different than what is asked? If not what is?

15. Keltic

Keltic Junior Member

ours would lose power, wires were breaking where they entered the controller, very light duty item, very apt to consider a different plow for our next one, cheers FMK