1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are LED Hideaways Bright Enough For My Needs?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by kirkmbrown2001, Feb 21, 2011.

1. kirkmbrown2001

kirkmbrown2001 Junior Member

Hey Everyone!

I hope someone hasn't asked this same question on the forum so I apologize in advance.

I mainly use my strobes on my truck for when I am parked on the road mowing lawns. I would say 85% of the time, I use my strobes during the day. I am looking to add hideaways in my headlights and tailights.

Here's the question, Are the led hideaways very noticeable on a bright sunny day? I know the non-led hideaways are noticeable during the day but how do the led ones compare. I like the concept of the led ones due to their low power consumption and not having to replace blown bulbs. I was thinking of amber led hideaways in the headlights and clear led hideaways for my red taillights. Give me your opinions!

Thanks!

2. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Our FD just took delivery of a new chiefs vehicle, and this is the first time they've used the whelen vertex LED hideaways. They used blue in the reverse lights, red in the fog lights, and white in the headlights. Day or night, these things are extremely bright, and seem well worth it.

3. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

I would use Clear LED's in the headlights instead of amber, If you want ambers up front try putting them in your parking / turn signals I have clear in my headlamps makes a world of difference and Placement of the LED is Vital to the effectness

4. tomx20

tomx20 Member

I don't think LED hide aways deliver as much of a punch as strobe tube ones. However, the LEDs will save a bunch of power! I think LED hide aways would be a great choice if you use them that much, they will most definitely last longer. I have whelen vertexes and SNM hide aways; both of which are very bright during the day and night.

Oh, and FYI; if you're going to put LED hide aways behind red housing tail lights, use a red hide away light. The light will show up better and be much brighter. Using a clear LED hide away in a red housing, you will lose about 30% of light. Amber behind a clear lens should look really good.

If you got 4 hide aways, two in the reverse lights and two in the tail lights, I think you would be seen really well. For $220 shipped to your door, the SNM e series hide aways wouldn't be a bad option at all!

Just my $.02

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkXYRwUoWUI