1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are Hydraulic Hoses Fisher specific?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Serenescapes, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

I am looking to change the hydraulic hoses and fittings on my Fisher Speedcast that I am restoring. It is my first snow plow and I don't know if the hydraulic hoses are specific to the make and model of the plow. So the question is are they specific? Or can I go to Tractor Supply and have a set made up and put new fittings in the pump?

2. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Go have them made. Take the old ones so you get the exact fittings. Make sure you cover any openings in the system to keep out dirt and water.

3. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Thanks alot. That's why I love this site! So the threads on the cylinder side and the pump hydraulic fitting threads are standard then?

4. South Seneca

I'm not a Fisher guy, but I've replaced a bunch of hydraulic lines in my days on the farm. Take the old hose with you and they will match whatever you have. Not to worry.

5. South Seneca

If you are replacing more than one at a time, tag each hose when you take it off so you know where to put the new ones.
    If you haven't done this before, take some close pics of the area before you take it apart, so you know for sure what goes where, in which direction.

6. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Sounds good. Thanks for the tips. I will mark everything and take pics.

7. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Look at surpluscenter.com. They have many many hoses and use gates and goodyear. Very good prices as well, much cheaper than having them made. Just need to know all the dimensions of what you want. Very easy. I also changed my ends to 6AN female and the adapter fitting to accept the 6AN male to pipe on the cylinders, pump etc. Makes changing them a snap.
    T.J.

8. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Cheaper and name brands? That sounds like a win win situation. I'll look and check prices. Thanks.

9. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you use Teflon tape on the threads

10. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Will do on the teflon tape. Thanks.

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Do not usae teflon tape. Most hydro hoses have tapered fittings that do not require the use of thread sealant. If your does not use a paste type hose sealant that is hydro compatable. Teflon can get into the systen and plug the pumps.

12. Serenescapes

Serenescapes Member

Thank you for the information PlowKing. If I am careful not to get it near the hole on the hoses, is it okay? I've already sunk millions into this old blade. Is the paste expensive?