1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are Hiniker Plows/Remotes Interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by jbell36, Dec 18, 2012.

1. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

are hinikers plow mounts and remotes interchangeable like boss?

we have two boss plows, one straight blade and one V plow...today one of the trucks was in the shop and we were able to move both plows with the same truck, therefore the same mount and remote control, well, at least the v plow controller can control the straight and vice versa, not the exact same remotes tho...is this how the hinikers are set up? we are thinking about switching to hiniker, not disappointed with boss by any means, but we now have a dealer in town with some pretty unbelievable prices for hiniker...

2. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Yes and No. The mounts changed 2 years ago. The V and C plow controllers will work on a straight blade. The harnesses aren't all the same just get a V/C harness from the start and you'll be good.

3. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B Junior Member

The mounting hardware changed a year or two ago also. The v-plows and the poly plows now have different geometry with the forks that pick up the plow. I know, I bought a new poly plow and had to have the dealer come get my old one since I couldn't pick it up with the new hardware. I believe the steel plows have the old geometry.

4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

after doing some research i think i have figured a few things out...my question is also a little too broad...the wiring harness for each truck is different, same with boss, but the functions can still control a different plow...

for example...truck 1 has a V plow on it, therefore it is wired for a V plow...truck two has a straight blade on it, therefore it's wired for a straight blade...if ALL you did was switch the plows then would the controllers still be able to control the plow to some degree? so now you are using a V plow controller for a straight blade and a straight blade controller for a V plow...

this is a last case scenario but it would be nice to know that if something went wrong, like the straight blade busted a hose and you can't replace it right now, and the V plow controller is messed up, that you could take the straight blade off, put the V plow on, and use the straight blade controller to at least make the V plow move left and right...i know on boss you can do this, just not sure about hiniker

5. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B Junior Member

I can't answer that as I'm just a home owner with an 8' straight blade plow. I know the controller that came with my straight blade is different in that it has only the basic functions to it. But I believe I can plug a v-plow controller into the harness on my truck. As far as I can tell, the wiring harness in the truck is the same for all plows, but I'm sure your Hinuker dealer could answer that question.

6. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

If you have a Hiniker V harness and controller (6function)you can run both. A 4 function harness/controller will not run a V at all.

7. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B Junior Member

According to Hiniker's website this information is correct, but the trip edge plow I just installed WILL run a v-plow. It came with the same underhood harness as the v-plow. Maybe the dealer messed up and gave me the wrong underhood harness?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  8. NBI Lawn

Hmm, how many wires are at the front of the the truck and in the cab? No need for a trip edge plow to have a 6 function harness. Your controller won't operate a V or C though.

9. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B Junior Member

There considerably more pins in the front connector than my last plow so I am guessing ths would be enough for 6 functions. Inside the cab I have the normal end connector plus the small 2 or 3 wire connector, but it is not used in my case. And my poly trip edge has the same fork geometry as the v-plows. The steel plows have the older geometry like my last one. maybe that has something to do with which wiring harness is included. My control will definitely NOT run the v or c.

Either way, I know that not all of the Hinikers are interchangable like the old days. I know I commented to my dealer that if I had a plow operation with multiple trucks that I'd be tempted to shop a different brand because of the interchangability issue.

I am just a dork with a plow to take care of my personal driveway. I would think your opinion and experience as a contractor carries much more weight.

10. NBI Lawn

That is interesting. If you have two plugs inside the cab you have a 6 function. There will also be a small plug on the front along with the large round plug...and the main power cable. Mounting should have nothing to do with it.

11. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

so if i had 1 C plow and 1 V plow could i use the same remote? sorry if that's a stupid question or if that has basically been answered, i've never seen the wiring/remote for hiniker...we've been out since 6am, just now getting back in

...or are you saying the wiring hookup on the inside can accept a C 'OR' a V plow, but just different remotes...

12. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Friend of mine has a 9' poly. I have a 8.5VF. Same trucks and both are the new mounts His harness is the same as mine.

13. NBI Lawn

Yes. V and C are both 6 function and will operated the same.

14. NBI Lawn

They probabaly aren't the same but if they are only his controller will operate you plow unless you have the buttons on yours for the V/C functions

15. Jimmy_B

Jimmy_B Junior Member

NBI, I think the plug on the front of the truck has changed from having one large and one small connection to just one connection with more pins. The controller end of the harness inside the truck is still the same, having the one larger and one smaller connector. My controller doesn't have the extra buttons or the small pigtail plug, but I could plug a six way controller like yours in.

Here are pics of the front connection in the grill. It has 15 pins. The pic of the plow harmess shows 12 pins. The missing three pins must control the other two functions.

To the OP, I'd still pose this quesion to your dealer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I did hook his plow to my truck, and my V controler ran his straight plow. I didnt have my plow there for him to try. Both harnesses are the same on our trucks. I'm woundering if some dealers are only using/stocking the V/scoop harness as they work with the straights and V's.........Less inventory maybe????

17. NBI Lawn

Huh, didn't know the harness is different now.