1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are Employer supposed to pay for anythin when they broke truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Milwaukee, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Are Employer supposed to pay for anything when they broke truck?

Well here story.

Owner of truck is very RICH and he never work he just go to his cabin and Florida all times. He have his daughter and son in-law run business.

Owner ask me to plow his properties with his truck. He know me though my Uncle.

His son in-law did repair on plow. He unhook trip spring then paint plow then put trip spring.

Last year when I use I have no issues and it trip little easy and not slam if I can remember. And truck don't go backward when plow trip and slam.

First snow event. Went to plow and first time plow trip and slam so hard it broke light mount off tower. It western 7'6 plow. Trip spring were little much for me. Truck went backward when plow trip and slam.

Well son in-law is make me pay for new light that cost $170. Owner didn't know about that.

Plow is 10 years old and it never storage in building it sit in outside all times.

Do I should pay that light or not? Talk to my Uncle, He used to have plow trucks before and he pay parts that were broken by employer, and he say u should not work there any more. u should not be liable for repair that not ur fault. u should have had agreement beore u work there
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

I would not pay it its his truck all repairs should be done by them get ahold of the dad and let him know what is going on.
  3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Hey Mill I wouldn't pay to have there truck fixed, I use to use my bosses trucks every year if something broke it was on them and never came out of my pay. Most times I would fix them myself with him supplying the parts but I got paid while I was fixing the problem. I would talk to the owner and ask him why you would have to pay for it when they didn't put it together the right way in the first place.
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Owners truck, Owners bill unless you do something real stupid to break it.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mill, you don't have to pay for that. I believe I have seen it posted here that it's actually illegal to charge the worker.
  6. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

This is interesting! A guy i know charges all his employees for any damage to the trucks. While as a owner it would be nice to think this is fair i just could not do this. By the law of averages you are going to hit something once in a while. Part of charging $80-100 per hour is to cover damage to the truck. The employee is simply making a pay check, you are getting the risk and reward for operating the business.

Now if they are screwing around this is a different story
  7. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

Well that what insurance is for!!!!, and if he foes not have insurance on you and on his equipments I will not work for him either, see I like to be fair, I get a lot of tools every season broken from time to time, I never tell my helper that it is his fault, that is just B S.
  8. Tim2734

Tim2734 Junior Member

Here in NY, that's illegal.

Q: What deductions can be made from an employee's wages?

A: Section 193 of the Labor Law states:

1. No employer shall make any deduction from the wages of an employee, except deductions which:
    a. are made in accordance with the provisions of any law or any rule or regulation issued by any governmental agency; or b. are expressly authorized in writing by the employee and are for the benefit of the employee (such as payments for insurance premiums, pension or health and welfare benefits, contributions to charitable organizations, payments for United States bonds, payments for dues or assessments to a labor organization).
    Employers may not deduct from wages the cost of breakage or spoilage of materials; nor may employers make wage deductions in any indirect manner, such as requiring a worker to pay for shortages by means of a separate transaction.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

In Illinois it is as well. Dates way back to. In the 70's I worked at service stations(gas stations now) and there was a law then that they could not charge back employee's for shortages or breakage.

If he is paying you cash tho and you arnt reporting it? If so then thats another story because you would both be working against the rules.
  10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

yep, this is true, and most places have some similar law in place HOWEVER, you can have them sign a agreement to cover costs of equipment that get broken due to negligence on their part, AND you are able to sue a employee for damage to equipment (if it is bad enough of course)
  11. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

When an employee has damaged or broke a peice of equipment becuase they weren't using it right I have had them pay for it.

If the equipment breaks due to "normal wear and tear" then I understand things bread.

I had a EE rip a tail gate off one of my dumptrucks. It was just plain stupidity. Almost $2k to fix. He didn't get his last check.
  12. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

this past storm i had an employee hit a concrete pillar used to support a bank drive thru, caught it with the side of the bed, i need a whole new bed on the truck now. after he finished that lot he parked the truck and went home, didnt call and say hey i did this and this. i later see the truck and call him and he denied the whole thing. good thing banks have security cameras.

D DRUMS LLC Junior Member

sounds to me like son in law is puting some money in his pocket.i would talk to owner in fla.
  14. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

Labor laws protect employees from things like this. He would only have a leg to stand on if it was due to gross negligence on your part. Either talk to the true owner of the business or tell the guy you'll go to the labor dept.
  15. Rickslawn

Rickslawn Junior Member
    from midwest

Hitting the pole and not telling, thats a classic. Why is it so difficult to say, " I screwed up". What was he gonna .say Mr. nobody wrecked the truck,
    Is nt.that why we pay for insurance

16. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

im not making a claim on my insurance for the truck bed. that was negligence on his part. not paying attention and you scrape the whole side of the bed. he knows hes in the wrong....havent heard from him sence it happened. i told him the night after i found out about it we had to work something out with it. i understiand **** happens when you plow. but this same guy has costed me thousands of dollars in repairs, guesse thats why you dont let friends work for you.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  17. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Last year when we meet first time he have me fix that truck.

Change u joint on front axle. And he ask me to replace door handle you know they are notorious to break when you don't use them right. It was one of his employer broke that 3 handles. Did employer pay for new door handle? NO Son in-law pay for that. That handle was like $12 dollars. it was 97 F250.

Here deal. I broke light mount that cost $170 and he is make me pay. That really angry me.:realmad:

I am done with them they are really cheap. They haven't left me gas money while they go to cabin. I pay $61 in gas with my money. They pay me $75. $14 dollars for Labor that pissed me off. :realmad:
  18. Clint S

Clint S Senior Member

No gas money would equal no plow if it was me. After they come to a full drive they may remember to leave some $$ or at least gas in the tank. Unless it was worked out before hand or a 1 time that was just an oversight I would not do it. This guy sounds like he is too much trouble.
  19. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

^ i agree wesport
  20. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Tell him you can't afford to work for him. Tell him the night before a big storm. I can tell you care about your image or you wouldn't be asking advice from us. Find someone who appreciates the long hours and treats you right.