1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are Broncos good for plowing?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Rcappa, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Rcappa

Rcappa Junior Member

I am looking to get a Bronco or Broco II in the year range from 1988-1996 and was wondering if anyone has any pros or cons on using it as a plow truck.

Any info at all would be helpful.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Get a Bronco and beef up the front end. Short wheel base is great for plowing but you should run ballast. Fords rust bad, try to find one without too much; it aint easy.
  3. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

A Bronco and a Bronco II are nothing alike.

Broncos are based on the F-150 chassis/drivetrain.

Bronco II's are based on the Ranger chassis/drivetrain.
  4. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I had an 88 Bronco. The I put a HD set of coil springs in the front and helped the sag a fair bit. The tight turning radius is the real plus with these. The downside is the rear ans side windows fogging. If you have to carry shovels it can be a pain. The other thing was the low output of the alternator, I guess you could up grade it. When I bought it the Broncos were almost 1/2 the price of full size Blazer/Jimmys so for the money they were a good deal.
  5. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I plow with mine and it's a great truck. I put timbrens on the front and no sag when the plow is on. I plowed 16 hours for the town plowing roads and no prblems. For parking lots the tight turning radius cant be beat. Mine just turned 170000 miles. Be careful withthe rust on whatever you look at.
  6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

definitly not a Bronco II, but I see a ton of Broncos with plows on them. A friend of my dad's plowed with a bronco for 12 years and the guy that he sold it to still plows with it.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I plowed with a Bronco II for 3 seasons. It had a 6 foot standard Meyer plow on it not a 2 meter. I put heavy duty cargo coils on the front end to carry the weight. You have to upgrade the alternator and upgrade the supply wire to the battery. Put the biggest battery that will fit on the tray. I broke 2 front axle shafts in the time I used it. I added big backup lights and full size mirrors. They are the driveway machines. You just can't plow like the big dogs can. Plow with the storm, don't let it get 8 inches deep and try to move it well.
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Fernalddude is the guy to ask about Bronco II plowing. I think he runs 2 or 3 of them. He will chime in if he sees the post.
  9. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

we run four broncos with 7.5 westerns and this one with a boss 7.5 vee

snow removal 08-09 041.jpg