1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are Blue Lights allowed in Ontario? Video

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dutch67, Dec 29, 2012.

1. dutch67

dutch67 Junior Member

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I have Blue Lites all the time.:)
  3. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Well I guess since its in Canada and there State plow trucks it's allowed. Down here in the US Green and Amber is used in Ohio and Blue and Amber is used in Mn just to name a couple

PLOWLO Junior Member

blue lights are designated for snow plow vehicles in ontario.

blue/red are police.

Its always been that way and its one of the questions on your written driver exam.
  5. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

Blue is for muni snow operations has been this way as long as I've been alive. If you are not muni tho and run down the road with blue lights you will get fined. Seen a few guys get fined. Also seen one get fined in a parking lot running blue lights because they are not muni.
  6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

MN state laws as of a few years ago as I was explained by a cop:

Blue lights are illegal to have at all on a vehicle UNLESS it's a state plow truck or police

No forward facing Red lights UNLESS it's an emergency service IE ambulance, Fire, tow trucks

No rear facing lights on at any time while driving ON the road.

All that being said, realistically I have yet to have a cop yell at me for my lights, and I have blue hide a ways in one of my trucks. But I'm also in a county that doesn't really care about any laws as long as your not intentionally trying to piss off the cops lol. That and it helps that I'm on the Fire/Ambulance team.
  7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have a split blue/amber, when I started, everyone ran blue for snow. They can't fine you for it on private property, but if it's on when you're on the road and your not plowing that road you're fair game. Seems silly to leave it on between sites IMO.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We ran blue on all our stuff years ago also. The police never had blue lights back then though for some reason.
  9. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Amber is for snow and muni Blue is for volunteer firefighters
  10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Only recently - 2008 I think? They added blue lights to cop cars again because at night, a blue light is way more effective then an orange. Bugs me alot because it says that plowers lives are not as valuable as others...
  11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Ontario driver's handbook says;
    Ontario highway traffic act says;
    Unless you are directly or indirectly employed by the municipality, you are not a "road service vehicle", hence MUST NOT use blue blinker while on a public road.

If you're NOT on a public road, you can use whatever color of light you want. Even red+blue. Get caught with that ON a public road, though, and you'll need to find yourself a decent lawyer. I guess the reason to use amber in Ontario is that it is relatively "meaningless". Just a general "look, I'm here, don't do anything stupid."
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  12. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Cops = red+blue. Not just blue. Its about the combination of colors.
  13. locallawncare.c

locallawncare.c Member

What Jason said, if you in a parking lot then use whatever you want, on the road be sure to shut it off, I always laught when I see a pickup with a blue light on going down the road, like did you forget to turn it off? or do you think you are cool or something, lol? just stick with amber, it works fine.