1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are Bigger Tires Better?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by homey1, Nov 17, 2004.

1. homey1

homey1 Member

I need new tires for my F250. The I am running 285/75 16's now and likethe extra size over stock 265's. I hear Cooper Discoverer M+S are the best but the dont make the bigger 285 that I want. Is the 265 better for my moderate plowing needs or there much difference? Any recommendations for a good 285 that plows well?
    Thanks!

2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

For moderate plowing you probably wont notice much difference. actually bigger isnt really better, taller and narrow is good. a 255 85 is a good size if you want a pretty tall tire. dont know what fits well on a ford or what width rims you have?

3. biltritecon

biltritecon Junior Member

I have a 01 F350 diesel with stock 265/75 but when im plowing i go to a steel rim with 235/85, narrow is the best way to go.

4. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Less tire surface that meets the pavement = more pounds per square inch = more traction. At least that's what my cooper tire dealer explained to me.