1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are backhoes really suited for snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowedUnder, Jan 1, 2009.

1. SnowedUnder

SnowedUnder Member
    from ontario

Ever since I got a little bit more involved in snow pushing, I've noticed one thing, every place that has a backhoe pushing snow is not really that well done. I don't know about EVERY lot but the four lots that I have seen backhoes in them are kind of poor.

I'm wondering if the hoe in the back makes them too light in front to use their 4 wheel drive for pushing. Plus with the hoe in back, doubt they are too maneuvarable especially compared to a skid steer.

Don't want to start a war....just an observation.
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I wouldnt think it would matter what you are using if the lot is done poorly wouldnt it be the operator fault?
  3. SnowedUnder

SnowedUnder Member
    from ontario

Maybe, probably not. In theory they should be able to pack the snow high but I have not seen them come close to what a wheel loader or a big skid steer can do. What struck me was that in all four lots the snow was packed no higher then a regular truck. They don't have the maneuvarability of a skid steer, the speed of a truck or the sheer grunt of a farm tractor or the grunt and high stacking ability of a wheel loader.

Just my observations.....
  4. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Exactly,some guys just go too fast

I've ran both loaders and backhoes I don't find any difference in scraping ability the main key as with anything is paying close attention
  5. cretebaby

Any backhoe can stack higher than a skiddi so I still say it is in the operator

Here you can see what a good backhoe operator can do

6. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Dude... That pretty much sums that up
  7. jayman3

jayman3 Senior Member

:dizzy:I think it all the way the operator runs the machine,I plow with my backhoe and it does a great job,I would but my hoe up aganist any skid steer anyday where I push.If you are comparing a backhoe to a loader then I would say that the loader can push a lot more snow and stack much higher but if your lots a dinky,then I would use the hoe to plow.
  8. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

weight of machines and horsepower are also huge factors in this debate
  9. cretebaby

Woundn't that just dictate the size of the box?
  10. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

I love Caterpillar equipment! Just thought I'd share.:D
  11. Neige

Neige Sponsor

They are great for doing snow. They will stack higher, plow faster, and push more snow than a skid steer. As with all equipment the operator makes all the difference.
  12. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

For years my father and I plowed a small local airport using 2 - 580k Case hoes w/ 12' blades on them and they did quite well.
    As posted I think the operator are the issue in your examples.
  13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Do you mean a combination?

I can not for the life of me see a back-hoe moving any snow unless loading from a pile into a truck. :confused: :confused:
  14. camconcrete

camconcrete Senior Member

backhoes are nice for pushing piles and stacking them high, and there is generally enough counterweights in the front to compensate for all the extra weight from the hoe, cause I know our four wheel drive hoe is useless unless its locked in with all four spinning
  15. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Hey REAPER what's with the commie pic?
  16. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I took it off of the header of obamas stationary. Just getting use to the coming look.
  17. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

i've always though that backhoe's are a creature that you can use for everything, yet does not do anything well. IMO you don't buy a 'hoe because you want to use it for one purpose, you buy it so that you have a machine that you can use for several purposes, With that you sacrifice excellence in any one category.
  18. Mid-Ohio Scaper

That's priceless!!!! It's kinda scary how right you are:nod:
  19. Oshkosh1990

Oshkosh1990 Junior Member

I myself am a supporter of skid steers but around here i see that there are LOTS of accounts that use backhoes as there primary machine and from what i can see they do a pretty good job. Also from what i see these accounts have a lot of potholes in the spring/summer so i do not know if these are related but its just an observation.
  20. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Any equipment: skid loader, backhoe, front end loader or tractor are all great a moving snow. Could just be operator issues....we use a lot of all of them and no issues here.