1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are back drag blades worth it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by born2farm, May 16, 2010.

1. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

Since I do 90% residential and most of them are blacktop, I was looking into a back drag edge for my plow. I have a chain lift meyers so absolutely no down pressure and I wonderd how good these edges do. Any input is welcome.

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Why not look into a back blade? Back in pull out, and your done.

3. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

I'm in the same boat. A back blade would get destroyed with the tight quarters we deal with. My problem is finding one that fits an X-Blade.

4. born2farm

I wish I could afford that. It really doesnt fit into my business plan or budget for the next few years. I am looking at the back drag edge because they are only about $200.00 and if they work they can be a big time saver. Thanks

5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

They work excellent if fabricated properly. If you do a lot of residential, once you get one, you will wonder how you got by without it.

6. Quality SR

How would they get destroyed? I would think it would be much easier and safer to clear a driveway backing in and pulling out. Rather then driving in a backing out.
    Do a search of a member name GrnMtn. He made a back drag edge for his fisher that is on a hinge. He posted pictures of it as well, seemed to work good.

You can find them for pretty cheap used. I am sure you can make that money back in one season.

Ditto..

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  7. born2farm

Trust me I would love to have a back blade but it will not happen this year...end of story.

Does anyone have any feedback on a blade like this.

blade_mounted.jpg

8. Quality SR

Do a search on Grn Mtn. I think his edge scrapes better then the one you posted. He has a Fisher blade.
    Here is the link: http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=32392

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  9. born2farm

bump...any more feedback on the edge pictured?

10. born2farm

any opinions?

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If that back blade is hinged it will work great, if not then it is no good. There are far easier ways of making one then that. The main concern is to make sure it has a good attack angle and will move if you hit something going forward.

12. Quality SR

The one in the link that i posted is on a hinge. I would think this is the better way to go also.

13. born2farm

Does anyone know of any factory option ones with a hinge. I agree the hinge would be better...just not sure if I trust my fab skills enough to build something that would with stand that much abuse....I guess though why would I need one that is hinged, if I hit something going forward the blade will trip anyways. Just getting ideas....thanks again guys.

14. Quality SR

I dont think there is anything like that factory made. Take the picture to a local welder and see what he can fab up. When pushing forward the hinged edge will just float behind the blade. So i dont think it will have any problem tripping. Give it a shot, you have all summer to try it out.

15. Dodge2

Dodge2 Member
    from ottawa

My dad used to have a f350 with an 8 foot western plow on it to do a large parking lot and two houses. It was night and day after he put a back drag blade on it, every time he put it into reverse the back darg blade would catch and lift the whole plow up two to three inches and with all that weight and attack angle it would clean to the black top every time, including hard packed snow. Unbelieveable difference it made. Well worth the money if your doing any back draging.

16. olie

olie Junior Member
    from midwest

I have 1 that I bought a few years ago and the guys never use it, its much faster using our loaders for driveways. I will have mine up for sale in a few months.

17. born2farm

Let me know when you get ready to get rid of it!

18. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Had one. Not hinged, one word describes it.... junk

19. Dodge2

Dodge2 Member
    from ottawa

The hinged are the only way to go.

20. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

I have one thats made by the same people that that pic is from. backdragblades.com It is not hinged and you have to put on a new cutting edge in order for them to wear even. I did a ton of residential last season and this thing saved me a lot of time I loved it well worth the money would suggest it to anyone.