1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

are back blades worth the money?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rydzewski, Jan 18, 2009.

1. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

7' 6" western pro plow. i'm going to use it to do driveways mainly. would it be worth getting the back blade for another 150 bucks? or is it just a marketing gimmick
  2. fisher guy

fisher guy PlowSite.com Addict

i dont have one but i plan on getting one. everyone i know loves them and i know a lot of guys on here swear by them. u can also make one probably a lot cheaper too something to think about just do a search on them and ull see alot of pics of homemade ones and store bought ones and they also have alot of feedback on them as well
  3. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

will do... thank you
  4. STAC99

STAC99 Junior Member

$150 BUCKS!!! Is it new? What is it a 2x4 and a pull chain? Are you sure they are not trying to sell you a back drag edge? BACKBLADES are worth the money by far. The back dragging edge does help but you don't have any down pressure(from the hydo's) I have two Snowman pull plows and have used them for seven or eight years now. Makes a big difference on time when doing drives.
  5. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

lol. It's a back drag edge im guessing.
    it mounts under the balde on the front plow. - you are talking about the plows that mount on the back of your truck? if so how much will that set me back? I took a look at the snowman website and they do make alot more sence.
  6. STAC99

STAC99 Junior Member

I figured you were talking about the back drag edge. The Snowman blades are around $3000. Depending on how many drives or other accounts you have it will pay for itself in time. If you don't have much to do then the back drag edge works good. I started plowing before they came up with the back drag edge, it works, just not as clean with some pressure. If you do go with just the back drag edge and have problems with hard pack near doors... try back dragging the jist of the snow away from the door then push (the hard pack) towards the door(yes I know it sounds crazy, just don't push snow against the door) and then rasie the blade drive forward so your blade is in front of what you pushed and back blade that out. It sounds like a lot of work but after a few times you will get the hang of it and it becomes second nature.
  7. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

If your doing driveways it will be money well spent, all my blades that I ever owned all had the back drag blade. Without it when pulling back on a drieway your blade will start skipping on hard pack snow on the driveway. Its a time saver also.
  8. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

I built my own for our Jeep.
    Best thing I ever did.

If you get the angle right, it cleans right down to the pavement.
    In fact, it cleans better then going forward !

It is for short distances though. You wont backdrag 100 Feet.

But for the 15-25 feet it is great.

I love mine !!!!
  9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I agree, they are worth every penny they cost. I got mine (Western) for well under a hundred bucks, though. Also, Stac99's advice, that exactly how I do it.