1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are ATVS good for plowing?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by diesel dually, Sep 23, 2007.

1. diesel dually

diesel dually Junior Member

My boss has an ATV he plows with and he swear by it. I have a 2wd and do not want to buy another truck for residential plowing. My two options are to use an ATV or just use snowblowers instead. Which is the best way to go? Thanks.

2. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

4X4 atv's are awsome for driveways. I had a plow on my old Wolverine and I loved it! The only problem it had was when the snow was real wet the rear end would slide out, but I put 120 lbs of tube sand on the rear rack and that helped alot. I would not hesitate about plowing with an Atv. I want to put one on my new AC, but I have one on my truck now (I still might).

3. JayMac

JayMac Member

I have a Polaris 600 Sportsman and love it on driveways. I agree that adding sand to the rear will make a night and day difference. I started with 240# and learned that I like 160# better. Mostly because of handling, it seemed too top heavy and I lost a little bit of the steering. Most of the time I run in 2wd, only use 4wd when needed which is rare. I even pull a couple of the kids on tubes in 2wd if the snow isn't too deep. I think that is in large measure due to good tires. I say go for it.