1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are any of you using the Back Drag Blade?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BlueWing, Mar 12, 2011.

1. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

I am thinking about putting them on all my plows. The dealer says they really work good and make the plow not float when back dragging in front of buildings and doors.
    Are any of you using them and if so do them make much of a difference?

2. dbarkie11

dbarkie11 Junior Member

have one, and it works pretty good. only thing is that every year when i take the whole plow apart to inspect and repaint, its kind of a pain to re align the backdrag blade and the cutting edge, if you dont get it just right, the backdragging edge will sit lower than the cutting edge. but in terms of effeciency, i think they are great, plus adding weight to the blade helps keep the edge down when back dragging

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I have one and seems to work good. They are reasonably priced just buy one and check it out

4. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Not sure if you are talking about the bolt on ones or the hinged type. I have the hinged type and love it. Nice thing is it won't be wore out when your cutting edge is. It only has pressure on it when going backwards. They last a long time.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Tony350
    Did you purchase the back blade like that, or did you build your own back blade??

6. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

If I might ask you, where did you get one like that and what brand is it?
    How much did it cost you?
    That kind of back drag is what everyone should be making.

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I made my own. I have made several of them. I know in the twin cities aspen equipment makes and sells them. The only down sides to them are you do lose a little bit of ground clearence because the back drag bar hangs lower than the cutting edge. Also I feel it puts more wear and tear on the plow. Ther are made to push not pull. I weld for a livign so anything that wears out on mine I can fix. The extra wear is woth it to me.

Not bashing the bolt on ones, my uncle had one when he first bought his ultramount. I bought his unimount and I didn't think there was a comparison between the two. Snow would still fill up under the rolled channel and begin to lift the blade up. I takes a lot longer to have enough snow build up under the aframe to lift it up. On big storms it will still happen. The other big reason I like the hinged ones better it puts all the weight on one cutting edge at a tiome you aren't splitting the weight between to edges. My 2 cents worth. Not sure but I think my uncle said he paid $275 for the one on his unimount but that was in 1994. I would guess around $350 at aspen equipment. It may be a lot but I have been using mine since and all I have had to do was weld my old hardened cutting edge on to the back drag bar. I didn't use hardened steel when I made mine, now with the 2'' peice of cutting edge steel on it very little wear on it now.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  8. dbarkie11

dbarkie11 Junior Member

i think mine was like $100 when i bought it with the plow, but now i dunno

9. BlueWing

BlueWing Member

My Western dealer told me that my cost is $94 for the Back Drag Blade. I talked to him again today and he said he put them on all his plows last year that he plows with.
    His guys that plow thought it made a difference when back dragging in front of doors or buildings.
    I am going to give it a try for next winter. You will have to wait about 9 months for a report back as to just how good or bad they work on my plows.
    The only negitive things that I see some of you say are the chattering noise on paved drives and the packing of snow between the two blades. I would think that a lot of the packing issues would be the type of snow your plowing at the time.

10. swtiih

mine was around $100 when I bought the plow

11. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I have one on my Western Pro Plow. Works Great !!!

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I had the original prototype for a Fisher Extreme V blade last year so I'm sure, or hope they've come a long way since. It never lined up correctly so Jerre welded a piece to fill in the gap and it seemed to work pretty well but the thinner metal wore off both ends about 6 inches. I since replaced the cutting edge and removed the back drag edge. Last year it did scrap so well during one storm (4-5" wet stuff) I was stuck a few times due to the amount of snow piled up between the truck and plow. It did weigh the plow down a bit (I think Jerre said it weighed around 75 lbs). With a V blade you need to keep the blade in the straight or a straighter position so you don't bottom out the edges while driving. I replaced the front coils springs on our 06 gasser with 6k front springs in hopes to not bottom out and hit but it still did from time to time when in "V" position. Mine was free due to being a prototype but sorry, I don't know if I would actually buy one. We do driveways that are a typical 2 car wide by 3 deep and the plow still road up about 3-4ft into the back drag leaving the typical 2-3 inch hard packed snow. But again,maybe they have improved the design, maybe more of an aggressive angle or thicker steel might help.

13. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Ive got a western style fixed backdrag on my meyers and love it. doesnt quite scrape clean, but it only leaves a bit. WAY better than not having it. The local western dealer custome bent it and punched the holes to fit the meyer. I want to say he charged around 90 bucks for it. The only thing i regret is not doing it sooner!

Not sure if this is how you mount yours but this worked great for me.
    When i installed it i did it with the plow mounted and the ballast in the bed. Fitted everything together slightly loose with the plow raised then set it on the ground a couple times to line everything up. Then with it on the ground i tightened everything down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I made one for my fisher this winter works great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Mxrider069

Mxrider069 Member

if we are talking about the western bolt on one, MINE SUCKED!! i had it on my 9' pro plus and it didnt work good at all. It was so bad after the 10th storm with it i took it off and got a hinged type. Save your money and get one fabbed up

16. swtiih

nice job looks like it works well

17. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Really? Thats surprising to me! I have zero complaints about mine. I can back up as far as i want and it'll keep scraping. and my plow is light. just a st 7.5 meyers. Sorry yours didnt work as well!

18. pmrcco

pmrcco Junior Member

angle of back plow

So I'm new here, but I'm wondering about the angle of both blades on this thread. The homemade one stands @ straight up, where the factory has almost the same angle as the front.

What is the best angle?

I plan on making the home made version myself, but am just wondering out loud