1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are any of the 6.0's good??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Elite Property Services, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Elite Property Services

Elite Property Services Senior Member

Looking to get a second truck I like the 7.3 but was thinking something newer but haven't heard much good about the 6.0's so like the title says are any year of the 6.0's any good?
  2. Elite Property Services

Well after reading a few posts I still haven't made my mind up I only put about 10K on a year so high mileage isnt an issue for me. Is there anything to look for while looking over and or test driving the 6.0 besides being well cared for?
  3. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

well the basic thoughts on them is they are all junk. which many people, including me that have experience with them will disagree with. the early ones, 03-05 had problems. some were fine but a good portion had a lot of chronic problems. i have heard that most of those problems were fixed for the 06 and 07 models. theres the basics like the EGR system that your gonna have problems with no matter what unless you remove it. the key is to work the truck. as long as you work it pretty had and do a lot of driving they are fine since the egr system doesnt get all clogged up. with you only putting about 10k on it a year, i think you might run into egr problems unless those are a lot of towing and plowing miles. best thing to do is run an oasis report on whatever truck your lookin to buy. generally if they have been problem free, they will remain that way. my 06 has 72k miles on it and the first egr valve went at 65k, aside from that, never had any warranty work done to it at all. if your not in a hurry, wait til the summer, the prices will be down on trucks. right now the prices are pretty crazy on a decent truck. good luck on your choice :drinkup:
  4. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

We've got three of them an 04, and two 05's. I can honestly say the bad reviews that these get on this site and others are a little over done. A lot of those trucks are out there with the 6.0ltr's and if they were as bad as everyone says then their resale would be no good either.
    If I was in the market for used I would still buy one.
  5. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

With the 6.0's it definitely seems like the saying holds true "1 bad experience overshadows 20 good ones"
  6. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Exactly. I am a ford guy and have owned 3 6.0's. It's true ford had a lot more problems with the 6.0 than they should have but they are not what everyone makes them out to be. I know of 4or 5 6.0's with over 300k and one that's just over 500k. To be safe stick with a 05-07, they have less issues. If you don't have to deal with emissions the best thing that can be done to a 6.0 is a custom sct tune and a egr delete. Do those and you should be just fine.
  7. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

To be honest I wouldnt really hesitate to buy an 04 or even an 03 with a clean oasis. After saying that I'll still probably end up with a later 7.3 if I can find one but if the right 6.0 comes along I wouldnt have any second thoughts about buying it.
  8. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I have an 04 and it went back to the dealer 1 time for a egr vavle. Only got 55,000 on her. She runs good. I would buy another one
  9. Elite Property Services

Thanks guys for you wealth of knowledge I would love to wait to buy but I am in a bind and must purchase a truck asap, but I just wanted to make sure I had my bases covered. Thanks Nate
  10. metallihockey88

Where are you located? I highly reccomend the place I bought my truck
  11. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

My 07 F550 6.0 went down last year in a snow storm with bad injectors due to the the fuel tank delaminating now it went down again in a snowstorm with bad injectors... P.O.S... even ford knows they have issues...
  12. Elite Property Services

I am in Hinckley 60520 about 15 min west of Aurora.
  13. metallihockey88

Oh. Its a bit of a ride but check out their site. All their trucks are immaculate. Its called Lenz Auto in fond du lac wisconsin. Their site is lenzauto.com
  14. Deco

Deco Senior Member

15. ross3031

ross3031 Senior Member

stay away from 03-04's, too many problems. 05-07's are much better. If you do have emisson regulations, register your truck over 10k and then you wont have to worry about it (at least thats how it is here). REMOVE THE EGR SYSTEM!!! this will be the best mod you can do. If you plan on leaving the truck stock and not throwing more power at it then you should be good, just do the proper maintenance. BUT, a 6.0L with an intake, exhaust, and tuner (SCT preferably) is night and day from a stock one, probably need to invest in head studs though to do this.

Just man up and go buy a new one with the 6.7L Scorpion... :D You wont be disappointed...
  16. Landmass

Landmass Junior Member
    from Calgary

just got f350 out of the dealer 3500 dollars for the egr delete kit installed.as far as im conserned it should be a recall issue
  17. mezz2006

mezz2006 Junior Member

18. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

this is the last place you will ever need for all your info..

my 6.0 is good to 450hp and plows like it drives.

gogodiesel.com...........doug is the man..
  19. UpstateDzlGuy

UpstateDzlGuy Senior Member

Love mine! There were some bumps along the way, but what vehicle hasn't. Chris
  20. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

i03 is the newest with the 7.3 in it so i would get that if that is new enough for you! but thats just what i would do i love the7.3