1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are all Load E tires the same for 99+ f350s?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I was about to buy 20x10" wheels and 305/55/20" nitto terra grappler tires. Ive researched them before, like the tires, saw the specs, they match my stock contis 80psi/3640lbs capacity each, load E rated etc.

Now i find out on ebay, of all sites, that the tires in "this" specific size are only rated to 3150lbs each tire. Why? And they only hold 65psi too

Now our F350s front has a 6k front axle, its probably carrying at LEAST that much with the boss plow up front, 2 people driving and a whole back load of salt for plowing. The rear axle is a 7k and im sure i get to that load amount often in the summer..... are these tires ok to use? Would they wear out excessively fast compared to those rated for 80psi or shouldnt i use them at all?

CLRSNOW Junior Member
    from Montana

Usaully tires that have a max pressure of 65 are load range D.
  3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I run 8 ply now. and they do great. and you get a better ride lol.
  4. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I have always replaced my stock load range E tires on my 3/4 & 1 tons with load range D and never had problems. I also never run more than 55psi.
  5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

I run 55psi also in my load range d (8 ply).
  6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

D and E ? Is this written on the tire somewhere just curious what I have.
  7. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

It will say on the sidewall, the more plys the more weight it will carry in the same sized tire.

Load Range D is 8ply, 65 psi max
    Load Range E is 10ply, 80 psi max
  8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I too have ran many sets of "d's", but usually in 285's and the weight rating is the same or more than stock. Something everyone is overlooking is the fact that the ones you are considering have a short sidewall. A "D" rated tire in a 265 or 285/16 is much different than one in a 20. Personally, I'd do it, but plan on premature wear. I also wouldn't jump on the expressway and hit 80mph with the plow on. If it's all that's available, ok, but if you find "e's" get them. I had 35x12.5x20 "e's" on one of my trucks. They were Cooper STT's.
  9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That size tire is meant for show, not work. Smaller sidewall usually means less carrying capacity.
  10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

and the bigger ply the rougher it will ride.
  11. kj330

kj330 Member

2000 f 250 v 10. i run 285/75/16 load range D tires. This size with a D range actually exceeds the factory E rated tire..i run 50 lds with a 8.5 Extreme V and a dump inserst salter combo, and have never had any issues.