1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are All Edges The Same

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by john r, Oct 22, 2014.

1. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I need to replace some edges. I'm not considering carbon steel anymore. Are OEM and aftemarket edges from the same supplier? If not, who sells a decent edge? Or realistcally doesnt make any difference?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I think after market uses a softer steel.

3. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

My dealer sells OEM & aftermarket edges and I've found while the OEM are a bit more expensive they appear to be a better quality steel and definitely last longer.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm thinking this.

5. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

If you're buying from a reputable supplier you'll get what you pay for.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Pretty sure Carbon is in all steels.......

I've use to make edges for my straight blades out of 1018 Steel and the wore very well.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You can get thicker blades then are provided OEM or you could go to carbide. Plan to pay a LOT more for carbide.

You could also hard surface a standard edge, be sure to use a abrasion rod, you want wear resistance.

8. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

Its hard to find 1/2 inch thick edges around here unless I make them which I dont have the time to.

I was thinking about welding 12 inches of the old edge to either end of the new edge to slow down wear.

9. grandview

Got a link for them,

10. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

I looked into carbide. The 2 companies I found dont want to deal with the little guy. They are made on demand and not stocked.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Adding steel the ends of the edge is a very good way to prolong the life if the edge. I did that for years on my straight blade.
    Running beads with hard-face rod will also help with wear but the rod is pretty expensive, around $25.00 a pound.

edge.jpg

12. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

this is exactly what i do. just cut off an end of the old edge you are replacing and weld it onto either end of your new edge. it significantly increase the life.

13. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i just stumpbled across this picture. you can see the plates i added. if you have a welder it won't cost you anything but 30 minutes of your time. just make sure you have a powerful enough welder to penetrate the 1/2 inch steel - or it will surely fall off considereing the beating it will take.

350edge.JPG

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You may have noticed I plug welded mine which may have been overkill but found it to be a good practice when laminating plate.

15. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

You could even add 3 staggered above that...unless you don't plan to let them wear above the two???

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Thicker blades or Carbide?

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Significant differences between the wear on the ends and the middle of the blade are a sign of improper pin height.

18. john r

john r Senior Member
    from NJ

What do you mean "improper pin height"?

19. grandview

Carbide,can't seem to find a full set,like the Boss v plow formed ones,

20. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

the angle of the dangle is set wrong. Its very important the dangle is level and true.