1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Are 8'2" V plows wide enough for dually Ford F350s?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Do you NEED a 9 footer or larger or do most guys just get them because the truck can handle them? Is a dually 06 F350 too wide for an 8 footer?

What id want to do, is use my 07 8'2" V XT on a dually f350 that i used on our single rear wheel F350 last year and put a straight 8' Boss super duty plow on my 06 single rear wheel f350 for this winter until we can splurge for more V plows.

Id like to eventually get a 9'2" V XT an 09+ model boss plow on the dually f350.

Keep in mind when turning, the dually is a crew cab short bed, so its no longer than our current extended cab/long bed is.
  2. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

The rear tires will be in unplowed snow....
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you already have the plow then just add a set of wings. If not then look for a bigger plow.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

But it is wider...

Will it work?...Sure it'll work. Is it ideal?...no.
  5. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I would say add wings but I'm not sure if they have wings for the XT's.
  6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah i dont think so, but from what youve all said above, a dually ford superduty rear wheels are wider than 8'? Are we talking an inch or two or both outer rear wheels are going to be on unplowed snow?

If i have to get at least a 8'6" straight or 9'2" V i will, id rather not have to shell out the cost of a brand new plow, those dont come by "very new/used" often ya know.
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your 8.2 vee is only 88" in the vee position...which is a good deal narrower than 8' regardless. Like I mentioned, it'll work but you won't be happy with the results.
  8. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I have an F-350 dually and it is 95" from outside of tire to outside of tire. Technically a 9.2 boss V is only 92" in scoop mode, so you wont even cover your tracks in that mode, or don't put it in full scoop mode. I just got a Snoway Mega V and it wouldn't cover my tracks with there 45 degree scoopwings, I would have had to go with thw 9" straight wings to cover my tracks in scoop mode. So I made my own http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=70072

You will want an 8.2 with wings or a 9.2 that you won't put in complete scoop mode. JMO
  9. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

This may be completely obvious, but it sounds like you already have the 350 with the dual rear wheels and the 8'2" V, so if you can get a hold of a measuring tape, you can verify it ~ just measure from the width from the outside of the tires and compare that number with the plow in scoop and/or full V, and you'll see for yourself if those numbers will work for you.
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A tape measure is such a wonderful tool. :jester: