1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Arctics & gravel lots??

Discussion in 'Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher' started by In2toys, Mar 25, 2013.

1. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

I have a couple of gravel lots i'm going after next year (small town) & am wondering how the sectionals do on gravel.

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I haven't used ours on gravel but they have a pretty agressive angle of attack for scraping up hard pack, etc. which I think would cause issues with gravel lots. Do you already have the Artic ?

3. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

That's what I was thinking as well, I think it would be a gravel pit at end of the run... I don't own one yet. I also do a storage facility with some funky asphalt drainage issues I thought the arctic would handle good...

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I personally would think a pusher box with the cutting edge set up a shade would be a better choice.

5. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Just the basic rubber pusher should work great on gravel, even grass. I have one that mounts to a toro dingo I have used to plow off my grass do my kids had more snow to play in, no turf damage at all. On the flip side I won't plow my gravel drive or lot at my shop till its absolutely necessary because the plows make a mess of the gravel until it freezes. I don't know if the OP has an Artic already or was looking for advise as to what pusher to buy.

6. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

I don't own an arctic yet. I like the way they work, but I tend to agree a pusher would be the way to go on the gravel. I just wanted my thoughts on arctics operation verified. thanks

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not an Arctic supporter but we have an 8 acre overfull trailer parking yard at one of our sites and everyone always hates plowing it until we got an Arctic. It's like the Arctic was made to plow gravel.

8. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

hmm. so tilt it back to change the angle of attack??

9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Coming from Dave that's surprising, He's definitly not in Artic's fan club ........or he's BS ing & wants someone but him to destroy one ;)

Just messing with you Dave.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Lol. We were all really surprised on how well they worked on gravel. The first time we used the 14ft the guy running it called me on the 2 way to come into the lot to watch it plow. The lot isn't very level and has huge pot holes. I couldn't believe how well it worked. I think if they had of sold me the hd version instead of claiming the ld's were good on a 12,000 lb tractor I would have been much happier with Arctic. Once you get a sour taste in your mouth it's hard to change it.

11. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

We have found that our gravel lots are very hard on our rubber cutting edge and cause us to replace the edge prematurely. IMHO.

12. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

The guys that do these lots now run protech pushers with the edge raised a bit to leave a skim coat of snow on the lot. Out here with the altitude, the skim melts off fast once the sun hits it. Hardly any gravel in there piles...

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a video of a area we stack snow in, its a gravel and it shows my 7 year old grandson plowing the gravel towards the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82fVE8WJ3tw

This was towards the end of the season and normal we push a couple of hundred of feet into it for room for the year. All the snow from the back and side lot goes here. Been plowing this lot for 10 years and never had a issue with the gravel.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  14. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

use a gravel guard, set it up so you can remove it for other lots