1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ArcticPlow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by P Kennedy, Mar 15, 2003.

1. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

I thought some of you guys might have dealt with Arctic Plows. I have a 8' poly that I really like but the dealer that sold it no longer sells them. Switched trucks and need a mount listing, have e-mailed them 3 times and they dont respond. Have had problems with the 673 pump unit as well, dealer did not have interest to rectify. This is not a big deal as i wiil fabricate my own just curious if this is standard operating procedure with this bunch. PK

2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

PK, Sorry I can't help you much on the artic company. We see several plows come through every year. Some are moved through car lots. Don't have a dealer in the area so don't see them new.

As to the pump style. It is the same Monarch pump that is available with several different brands of plows and is seen in various forms new and aftermarket. Most of the problems we see are due to power switching and bad connections. Occasionally see them full of crud ( packing matl from the rams ) and this can cause havoc with the valves. Big plus and big problem is the valves are internal on most monarchs. Plus is seldom have a problem with them. Big problem is when you do you have to pull the whole unit apart to service the valves.

Call or email with what your running into for pump problems and I'll try to help you through the diagnosis and service options.

Mounting is very similar to Westerns unimount. I have done some swaps where we have attached the Artic mount lugs to a western sub frame. Saves alot of fab time on alot of the trucks.

Good luck Jerre

3. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

Thanks Jerre for the quick reply, the problem with the pump is we set the pressure relief valve to the spec and the oil aeriates/foams, then creates cavitation in the pump and foaming oil comes out what appears to be the machined vent hole. The service manual of course is very crude and does not show a detailed exploded diagram of all the components. Electrically it works fine although the monkeys at the dealer messed with all of the valves and relays. As for the mount it was installed on a 98 K2500 HD which I traded for a 2001 Dodge but with all the problems in the front end don't really want to mount it on this truck. I have a 1978 K25/3500 Chev which was built up to house a big block and thought of mounting it on. Figured on putting in a 350 but the truck only has the Dana 44HD front axle and that plow is heavy, making the mount fit would be fairly easy. It would be a whole lot easier to buy the mount but cant get any one to respond. PK

4. sidewing

sidewing Junior Member

PK:

I would try calling Arctic directly. They are in Mississauga, Ontario (their Sales and Marketing office anyways).

The phone number is 905-844-6902, I would ask for John Kidd to start with.

He runs this operation, and should be able to help you.

Good luck!

Reg

5. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

Your probably right seeing as I only e-mailed him 3 times, thats why I was wondering if this was standard operating procedure for these guys. Also explains why nobody in western Canada is a dealer. PK

6. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

I am not sure if it was magic or the helping hand from here but magically John Kidd from Arctic Snowplows e-mailed me today saying he would be in the area this summer helping the new dealer get better aquainted with their product. John asked if I would volunteer my non-functional plow for a trouble shooting seminar. If the magic originated from here many Thank You's it is really appreciated. In another post some one said a good dealer and it's support are in your best interest, believe them as my plow sat in the garage while people who profitted from my purchase ignored their customers. Fortunately unlike some of you we as a family do not rely on it for food on the table. PK

7. kojak

kojak Member

When I started looking into a plow I looked at the artic, but the Edmonton dealer (Danko) realy didn't impress me. As far as I know they ar ethe only Alberta dealer for the Artic.

The only Edmonton dealer I spoke to who seems to know anything about plows only deals with western, at this point I'll go with them if I have no alternative (worth paying more for the service( but if you know someone good who deals with other plows I'd like to know.

I'm interested in the Fisher, Western and Sno-Way.

Thanks,

Kojak

8. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

Kojak if you have a dealer which will supply a Western plow that you like I would definately buy there. I originally purchased mine from Fort Garry Calgary and they were not bad but lacked experience and interest with the Arctic. I agree Danco is not my first choice for a supplier but John Kidd assures me this summer when he is out they are going to address the issues of my plow as a seminar on troubleshooting. I would buy a Western plow next for the better hydraulics and availability of parts. The Arctic is really heavy duty mold board but there technology is a little behind. Personally would never own a trip edge plow after having used them at the county. We had one that tripped on a tandem plow truck on a chipseal road, moldboard dug into the chipseal and flipped the truck. We had a second one that caught a bridge splice tripped and slammed into the gravel bed turned the unit sideways and rolled another tandem. My buddy has an 8' Western that has been really good but wishes he had paid the extra for the poly blade. PK

9. kojak

kojak Member

Sounds like your in Calgary, is that where the rep is going? I wouldn't mind showing up for that.

The guy I spoke to in Edmonton about the Western is from Fort Garry and handles the accounts for the city. He knew what he was talking about, knows that I can get cheaper elsewhere, but I trust him to know my needs. I think thats worth the money. But in the end I'm going to be over 60 miles from the closest dealer, and will have to do most of it on my own.

I'm curious about the poly plows, can they take an impact at minus 40? The guy at Danko was telling me it's the same material they make car bodies with now, and a buddy tapped a garbage can last winter at minus 35 and a two foot chunk of his bumper shattered.

Kojak

10. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

The poly boards are made from Lexan and I have not had any problem so far. I am 75 miles out of Calgary Northwest and dont rely on them to do much fixing. I do not plow parking lots just rural driveways and lease roads, thats why I like the poly as it shoots snow 15-30 ft. FGI promotes the Western and is pretty good about looking after you, the Arctic was an extra which they dropped. I was thinking that when this plow gets remounted it will have a live hydraulic system and bypass all their fancy electronic headaches. I prefer levers with a little feel to them and find the electric over hydraulic on these units to be like a switch on a clutch. I would be willing to drop a note if the Arctic guy actually shows for the seminar he quoted. On the big trucks we used mostly Wasuea 12' but still had to mod the flap on front to contain more snow for visibilty. PK

11. kojak

kojak Member

I know the country your in, and have a similar area here, mostly farmers, but quite a bit of Lumber as well. I was looking at doing some of these drives and private roads out of town, but it looked like renting out a grader for these occasions (I would only be going out for these in falls over 4") would be more economical. Have you ever priced it out for doing this stuff? Would it actually be easier?

Even though I wouldn't be doing much for plowing this first year, I'd like to know before I buy, because FGI priced me out the Poly at $350 more, and I'd rather use the money elsewhere now, in case this doesn't turn a profit for me, but don't want to be kicking myself in a year.

Kojak

12. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

Most of the loggers have their own graders here and thats what is needed to keep their roads clear, lease roads however are being cleared more and more by truck plows as they are faster. Unless you have a very large dump of snow and need a grader to wing it off a truck plow is more efficient. $350 difference is nothing for capital investment if it will make the job easier day after day and it is all tax deductable. Cheap out on the equipment and pay for it in down time, this year the snow in your area would have payed for the difference in 4-5 hours. I like to see $55-60hr but is sometimes hard to get from acreage owners so charge them $25 for a driveway sweep and let them handle the snow shovel stuff. Does not hurt to be buddies with the county grader man as he will pass your name along to those trying to solicit cleaning from him which in this county has been discontinued. PK

13. kojak

kojak Member

Thanks for the advice.

Wondering if you had any experience dealing with Alberta or Canadian government work. Buddy of mine had problems collecting from the local post office, so I'll stay away from them. I'd rather learn from someone else's mistakes, so if you know anyone who's a headache customer , I would love to know before I approach them.

Kojak

14. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

Kojak we found that the oil companies can sometimes pay on 60 or 90 day accounts so do not count on them for instant cash. Acreage owners are cash upon completion and only when they call, farmers are on credit only if they are good friends that pay etc. etc. The guys with bobcats/rubber tire hoes will take most of the in town parking lot work as they can usually remove not just pile the snow. You are more likely to know who to deal with honestly where you are than I am but remember snow removal is not a monetary priority until they cannot get around so conduct business accordingly. PK

15. kojak

kojak Member

Thanks PK.

I've got a good idea of who pays around here, it's the government ones that I've been asked to bid on here that worry me.

King Ralph might not want to pay his bills if he falls of the wagon.:D

I'm actually looking to do mostly commercial accounts in town. Since I started nosing the idea about, I've had 12 calls to bid on contracts. People are very unsatisfied with the service they've received so far.

Do you salt/sand? No one out here but the highway department does, and I'm not sure how to introduce something that could be very profitable. I may just wait till my second season, and try to sell it as an add-on to existing customers.

Kojak

16. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

Generally the government is very good on a contract basis however carefully read all the contract as to expectations. No I dont do sand and salt as lease roads never require it and in town/acreage people dont like sand on their grass and gardens. Salt would also be a issue as it will melt ice but also weekens top layer of concrete on sidewalks and I wont pay for new ones. If it was a contract it would have to state the liabilties for it usage with owner signature for approval after warning of possible problems. PK

17. kojak

kojak Member

Gave me a bunch to think about. Thanks PK.

Kojak

18. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

Arctic Plows

Sidewing thanks very much for the tip,John Kidd stopped by this July while doing troubling shooting seminars for some product outlets. We spent the afternoon updating my pump with all the problematic quirks, John is a fantastic guy and a very good teacher. The new dealer out here has a very good rescouurce if they use him. Everything was covered on warranty, however my neighbors wonder what kind of people I know when they drive 2200 miles across the country in July with a snowplow and park in your driveway on a 90 degree day. John Kidd made the difference between dumping a problem vs understanding it and finding a practical solution. Thanks to boards like this solutions are at the tip of your fingers at a fraction of the cost of running back and forth to a dealer shop. Thanks PK

19. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

PK, I got a chance to visit with John at the Sima show. He's a great guy. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new V plow they are working on performs this year ( limited qty ) I thought the box ends for the plow's were kinda nice but I have a hard time getting out of a warm truck to put wings on and off when I can do it from in the cab with the touch of a button.

Hope you have a great winter and thanks for the update.

P.S. I love running around with the plow on just to see the looks and hear the comments. Jerre

20. P Kennedy

P Kennedy Junior Member

Jerre, just like John you ain't quite right driving around in 90F weather with a plow on. It's okay though my wife walks around at -20 with only a sweatshirt and says it's just cool enough, we've gotten used to not quite right.:D PK