1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Arctic

Discussion in 'Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher' started by DuraMaxAllison, Sep 13, 2006.

1. DuraMaxAllison

DuraMaxAllison Junior Member
    from Toronto

i have a 10 foot Arctic in front of my chev and it pushes snow real good :)
    i have used a fisher,myers,boss and western ..and even though i am still a rookie :eek:
    i am pretty impressed with my Arctic.

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

How well does your truck handle the 10' plow? That thing is over 1100lbs. I have a 9' trip edge and it is heavy enough.tymusic

3. DuraMaxAllison

from Toronto

nice

actually it rides nice and handles very well ..the only problem i have is if i have the blade covering my air intake to the rad .. my tranny temp rises a wee bit over normal .. :eek:
    i was out last year for the first time in a long time and it worked real well, as soon as i get some pics going and figure out how to upload them i wil post some.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you right in Toronto or one of the surronding cities?

5. DuraMaxAllison

from Toronto

where are you ?

i am on the scarboro border ..bout 45 mins south of newmarket

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I am right in Newmarket. If you don't find enough work I could use another broker. Is this a full time thing or just for extra income? I know it snows a lot more up her then you get.

7. DuraMaxAllison

from Toronto

job

actually its a winter thing
    i might have a big gig going on near you so i may need your help...dont know yet.
    what is your company name

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

C.E.T. Contracting. Is this right in Newmarket? If you are close to Toronto I am going to have to call you when it is snowing, LOL. I think our plow nights are double Toronto and I am not sure about salting. We do mainly schools, is that what you are looking to bid? The Catholic board is out for bid.

9. DuraMaxAllison

from Toronto

schools

so i hear .. lol well good luck ..

what about triple j .. ?? do you know them ?

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I hope you are not associated with him. He came in and lowballed the entire town the first year. He had many law suits by Christmas and now has almost gone. Had no idea what it took to clear a large lot. Though much of this is the property managers fault. If a plaza is going for $70,000 and you get a quote for $42,000 it goes in the garbage. One night I was called to salt ALL his locations as they could not find him. The next time they called I said no. You made this decision you can find your own way out. They were pi$$ed.

11. DuraMaxAllison

from Toronto

Triple J

hahah..no actually i was one of his brokers last year ..he was late in paying and when he did pay ..it bounce all the wa home, if you knw what i mean
    he is bad ..i rember some nights i tried to get ahold of him to ask him stuff or whatever..he was nowhere to be found..i also hear quite a few complaints from his contracts also

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have the same truck as the one you posted, Silver Birch 2004. It might be like plowing with a school bus.:dizzy:

13. DuraMaxAllison

from Toronto

Hahaha

YUP
    that exactley what it feels like
    hahahaha
    :eek: :blush2: :nod: :p

hehe ..it is a loooooooooong truck indeed, but anyhoo my name is Charlie and i got into plowing because i do sales pavillons for my builders that i service( i own a hydro excavation company ) and i figured a lil extra cash wouldnt hurt and i met up with dave thru a friend of mine and worked for him all last year as a broker ..made good cash when i got it .
    so now i have a few more places to plow and i am just getting my feet wet here
    still dont know too much on pricing but i guess that comes with time and experience

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you planning to bid some of the Catholic Schools?

15. DuraMaxAllison

from Toronto

catholic contract

i do not plan to , but i have a buddy who is .. i was looking at some of the schools and areas ..wow..they have a lot of schools in york regionhe has already asked for my help if he gets it ..but hey if you get it ..call me ..416 990 4744 Charlie .... like i said i have a few properties that i service and really dont want to get over my head ..not yet anyways .

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

They have around 90 schools. I cut the grass at 19 of them in Woodbridge. That area is great because they are so close together. Has he done schools for the Catholic Board before? What area is he looking at?

17. DuraMaxAllison

from Toronto

catholic board

i really dont know what area exactley
    he lives in richmond hill..?? ..nice summer gig cuting grass for them ..i would even knwo where to begin to bid on a contract like that..i have enough problems giving prices for driveways ..lol :dizzy:

do you have salt trucks ..because i will more than likely need my builder sites salted and i really dont know if i want to start lugging salt around ..even though i know thats where you can make most of your money,,..if you can store mass quznity and buy in bulk cheap.

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 3 salt trucks. We buy bulk salt and can store upto 160 tons, 4 trucks at a time. We could hold more but our skid steer won't pile any higher.

Toronto house goes for an average of $350 with the front walk. Standard 2 car driveway. Newmarket is around $250 without shovelling and maybe $75 to shovell. Richmond Hill might be good for him this year. I think the company last year got into a little trouble. They are a large company with many schools. My buddy had 6 around Elgin Mills and he is not bidding them this year. Area 8.

19. DuraMaxAllison

from Toronto

nice setup

well its good to know if i need salt ...my locations are in markham,stouffville,richmond hill,toronto..(for my builders)..as for the catholic school board..i told him if he gets it i would help him..but i think that you really need a lot of trucks even to handle a small area..?? i have 2 trucks and a rubber tire.......and for the prices of drives ..i think i wil increase my price ..already have signed up 5 on the block up from me ..but i dont really want to get to close to home....i know there is real good money to be made .. but only if you have good contracts and good employees/drivers/brokers..i have my hands full in the summer time with my sucker truck and really didnt do anything at all in the winter up until last year when i contracted my builders to a snow removal contract...i have a cousin who might be looking for work ... he lives in newmarket and from what i hear just bought a new ram truck ..

20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If your cousin is looking for work I would have hours for him.

How many hours did you get from Triple J last year. I know he had the Home Depot in Aurora last year, not sure what else he had.