1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Arctic Snow Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WIPensFan, Jan 2, 2016.

1. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Is anybody on here running these plows?? http://www.arcticsnowplows.com/home
    I know there was a thread a few years back of someone posting lots of pics of his installs on these plows but I can't find it or remember who it was. If anybody remembers please post the thread or who it was please. I'm interested in the galvanized plows after Maleko posted pics of the galvanizing he did to his GMC 1 Ton a few days ago. Just got me thinking, he should have put one of these on it to match!:)
    I would like to know if these are quality plows and how well they hold up as far as durability, electronically and functionality. Also...cost comparisons to the DD brands and Boss.
    Thanks.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I believe Mike in the Chicago thread has done this, I'll link this post in a text to him.

3. WIPensFan

Thanks Olddog.

4. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Hey. Not running those plows but I have had 2 front blades and 2 back blades and a tailgate salt spreader sandblasted and hot dipped galvanized. My contact is garagekeeper....John at Johns garage in Glenview, il. You'll have to get a quote from him. I'm not sure if he is still doing it as I know price keeps going up. If you plan on keeping your equipment a long time, it's worth every penny. Even my spreader doesn't show signs of corrosion! Pm me if you want my number.

5. WIPensFan

Thanks Road2 I'll keep that in mind, but I'm just browsing and thinking out loud right now.Thinking about a new truck next year and possibilities for plows.

6. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Some one did a boss plow a few years back I think most called him crazy

7. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 20 year old Arctic 8'6 straight on my back up truck. It is not galvanized though and has held up well.
    You will not beat that warranty.

8. WIPensFan

Wondering why I don't see more of them on Plowsite or even in my area in real life??

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Canadian plow...

I've seen a couple around Chicagoland.

10. road2damascus

Looks like I got a dealer near me. I got to go get parts for other things so maybe I'll inquire a bit and get back to you all. If they make a vee, I may just inquire a bit deeper. But all pics I see have been straight blades.

11. WIPensFan

They do have a V blade, check out the website.

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They make good plows but they're a little dated. They make a V Plow also. Very good company to deal with from what I've heard. One dealer by us still sells a lot of them.

13. road2damascus

:)
    I'm a sucker for galvanized plows.

14. road2damascus

Their version of the wide out looks nice. Wings go into full box plow. Says wings float as well.

15. TLSIMMONS

TLSIMMONS Member

The New Holland dealer in my area sells them.There is several companies around here that run them on skidsteers but I haven't seen one on a pickup yet.

16. WIPensFan

I think your "dated" comment is what I was thinking as well, but I do still like the looks of them. I've never had a chain lift plow either so I'm not a fan of that.

I thought the skid plow looked pretty good, I would try one of those if I had the need.

17. stodds12

stodds12 Junior Member

I run an 8'6 HD extra long on my 04 f250. Plow works great and after stripping, sanding and repainting my fisher mm2 one really appreciates the galvanized frame / poly combo not a spec of rust or wear to be found. I actually hit a light pole (don't ask) the last storm of the year 2 years ago going maybe 25 km/h. The only damage was the a frame had a slight bow, as well as a partially bent ram. One trip to the machinist and a new ram and I was back in action. I actually finished that storm out with the plow. Should speak for their durability. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if the right deal came my way.

18. WIPensFan

Thanks for the info, exactly the type of stories I was hoping for.Thumbs Up

19. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

I currently have 4 straight blade Artic plows of various sizes and ages from 1 year old to about 15. All of them have been great, one of the really nice things about them is troubleshooting is really easy. There is no circuit board to speak of since the controllers are basically straight switches and the valves all run on basic wiring no computer brain to worry about. The motors are cheap to get rebuilt after the brushes burnout and the cylinders themselves are pretty robust, I've only ever had two get bent. Also never burnt out a pump itself. Chain lift can make back dragging tough but not impossible and if something does go wrong you can short chain the plow to get it home.

20. Turf Guy

Turf Guy Member

We love ours, have three, the oldest being a 1995 model. Cheap to run, parts can pretty much be sourced any where, really straight forward, and well the waranty can't be beat!