1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Arctic Sectional pusher 12ft LD with bent frame

Discussion in 'Arctic Sectional Sno-Pusher' started by JD Dave, Nov 9, 2010.

1. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I was looking at our 12ld pusher today and I notice the main frame of it was all bent. We've had trouble with bent section, broken rubbers and now a bent frame. It says on thier site good for machines under 18,000 lbs and I'm running it on our telehandler which weighs less then 12k. I'm sure it's operator error but the guy running it has ran a Horst pusher for the last 5 years before we got the Arctic with no problems. We can still use the blade but it doesn't impress me. Think I'll stick to Horst now.

arctic 1.jpg

arctic 3.jpg
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

sorry dave im not sure what is bent, the middle or the end???

do you have pics of the other side?
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It is harder to see in the pics. The main tubing is bent, you can see how it's wavy. Also the ends are bent up, I should have taken a pic of the other side. It's bent but not as bad. We have a 14ft to compare it to and it's fine, different operator.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

was that the first year that it was used also?
    its not like we had much snow last year.
  5. 1olddogtwo

atleast 2 years i think....
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They are 2 years old about 120 hours of plowing. I really like the concept but I'm afraid of the durability now. I should have bought the HD's.
  7. 1olddogtwo

yea its a little hard to tell
  8. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

2 of mine are like that. They still push fine.

Don't get to worked up about it.

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I'll trade you for a 12ft Avalanche.
  10. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Sorry to see your bad luck/problems. I checked our HD units and they are all straight but last year was light. I will keep an eye out and report if anything like this happens to the future. We try to never buy a std duty pusher (any brand) of any kind for just the reason you have listed here. We had very bad luck with a different pusher manufacturer years ago. They used to have a tendency to break in half!! :confused:
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not worked up but I have blades that my dad bought new 25 years ago that we still use and are not bent up. I also would have bought the HD units but when Arctics site says their good for an 18000 lb machine I'd thnk a 12,000 lb farm tractor would be perfect for them.
  12. pusherpro

pusherpro Sponsor

Bent or abused?

One of the comments I have made since working at this company is the Sectional is an operators plow, that hands down is superior to any on the market but like anything else in the wrong hands it suffer damage. As Dave said one plow with one specific operator bent, one plow with another didn't. That in itself has said volumes to me. Our company spends a lot of time training, guiding and directing our employees in proper plow techniques before turning them lose. With hot dog operators just a bent plow is a blessing.
    We run LD-12's and LD-14's on Cat 906 without these issues. One of the things we have done is put a recommended speed limit on our plow like other manufacturers do with their plows. 15 mph x 18,000 lbs into a frozen pile = bent steel I don't care whose plow you run. Dave I will gladly discuss getting your frame replaced.

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

Wow ---Thats the kind of dealer we all want.....Good for Artic plows
  14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I appreiciate you responding. I also agree that the blades are operator plows. The operator in question isn't a hot dog operator as he's plowed for us for almost 10 seasons and this is the first problem he's had. I'd assume a Horst Snowing would be considered an operator's plow also that he ran previous to this. After looking at the HD's I don't thnk this would have happened but I could be wrong. I think I'm leaning to selling the LD's and buying HD's. Nothing scrapes better then an Arctic, no question. I will PM you about the frame replacement.
  15. JohnnyRoyale

You can pick up the replacements from your dealer friend in Erin. LOL.
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's good to know. (still laughing) John that 12ft LD was on the telehandler at Rockwood. In your honest opinion would you consider my guys at that job cowboys?
  17. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I'd be willing to bet the guy posting this is the one who bent it LOL... He's the biggest cowboy ;)
  18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

19. JohnnyRoyale

Those operators are the furthest thing from cowboys. Wish some of mine were that good.... and that my honest opinion.
  20. plowinli

plowinli Member

Hey Steve, how about getting us some material on the proper plow techniques including the video you guys were working on so we can train our employees. That would be a lot easier for us and you the the trial and error method we are doing now for these pushers.