1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Arctic Pushers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CPC13, Feb 7, 2014.

1. CPC13

CPC13 Junior Member
    from MA

We are currently looking in to purchasing an Artic pusher for a 444K. This year it seems we have been leaving a lot of packed snow on our lots that we clear with conventional pushers with rubber edges. Will the Artics cut through this hard pack that is left, and get down to bare pavement like advertised? Will they not even leave any hard pack each time you need to push? Seems like we have been burning through salt to get pavement showing this year.

Are they worth the initial up front cost?

Also seems like there are quite a bit of moving parts to break on a fairly complex piece of equipment. Are there a lot of people breaking parts on these (the poly blocks)?

Any information/experience anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

We were so impressed by them we became a dealer

3. motoxguy

motoxguy Senior Member
    from WI

We looked at purchasing one as well then opted to go with the pro tec with a steel cutting edge after seeing the problems a friend of mine had with his pushers. They do clean up great but make sure who's ever running the loader knows how to operate the pusher otherwise you will be breaking those blocks like crazy. I looked at one of the new avalanche pushers this fall and are the same concept and looked pretty nice as well as the boss pushers but I don't believe they go any larger than 12 ft

4. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Somebody I know well bought the avalanche version you are talking about to save money. He tried one of our artics and immediately sold the avalanche

5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Check out the Metal Pless LiveBoxx. It scrapes as well as or better than an Artic, but it doesn't have any blocks to break. With a Metal Pless you can stack snow or give it to an employee to use and not worry about them breaking parts like the Artics.

6. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

In my experience the Arctic will meet your needs. I used a 10' Arctic on a skidsteer for many years and for the most part it will scrape hard pack snow. Sometimes the cutting edge will trip and leave the hard pack but for the most part it good job. much better than rubber cutting edge

7. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Go with the Arctic. We have them ranging from 6 foot to 16 foot. They scrape extremely well, and clean everything so nice. You will cut your salt usage just by how well they scrape. This last storm we had I beat the hell out of one on 2 places there were new to us. There had to be several inches if hard pack, and it scraped so nice and I couldn't brake anything.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

For one, Artic is spelled ARCTIC. That is the first time I ever seem or heard that any pusher cleans better then a Arctic. We run over 250 pushers on every event, if the sectional couldn't stack, we wouldnt be as large as we are! Chicago has been pounded this year again!

Do blocks break, hell yeah they do! They are desigined too. Im not going to attack Metal Pless LiveBoxx cause I know very little about it, hell when i googled it, only two videos popped up.

OP, here are a few homemade videos.

stacking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIbDl1XLAz0&list=UUtl92YpjNmnvGBMiiWMD5RA&feature=c4-overview

abuse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buuH7qjBFNA&list=UUtl92YpjNmnvGBMiiWMD5RA

more stacking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJgYRYR_kP0&list=UUtl92YpjNmnvGBMiiWMD5RA

8 year old running sectional

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82fVE8WJ3tw&list=UUtl92YpjNmnvGBMiiWMD5RA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKnL8DgV7gw&list=UUtl92YpjNmnvGBMiiWMD5RA

making a turn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-WqjSdtBFc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUtl92YpjNmnvGBMiiWMD5RA

Arctic's video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EslQ7AJ96pg

9. CPC13

CPC13 Junior Member
    from MA

Thanks for everyone's input.

1olddogtwo, how is the ease of switching a broken block with a new? Can you run with a broken block to limp through the remainder of a storm, or is it an immediate replacement?

Do they require adjustment like conventional pushers to keep the edges on the ground? What are you seeing for wear time on shoes/edges (I understand it depends on pavement conditions)?

Also how are you attaching your pushers to your equipment, using the machine quick attach or the 'forks'?

Thank You.

10. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

Blocks aren't bad to replace. I have an ld12 that has needed one for the past two storms. Too many other things have been ahead of that on the list to get fixed so far. Still pushed great!

They float much better than conventional pushers for better wear and scrapping. The learning curve for them is much less than conventional pushers.

We use all ears so every machine can use every pusher and so we can load and unload them easier at jobs

11. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

You should be the last guy in the world to jump down someone's throat for their spelling, you typically spell like a first grader on here. Heck, you even spelled the word "to" wrong in this post.

BTW, when you use the word "we", does that mean you're part owner of Arctic's snow removal branch?

12. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

13. mike ward

mike ward Member

We own the following pushers: Scoop dog, Pro-tech, Avalanche, and Arctic.

We are beginning to sell all the pushers except the Avalanche and the Arctics. That said we are buying new Arctics only. They are significantly better than any of the other pushers that I own. We have broke some blocks this year for the first time. I think that is because of the extreme cold and hard pack and the heavy snow. They are pretty quick to replace.

The Arctics are very expensive but they sure do clean!

14. 1olddogtwo

Often do, I tend to post from my little phone with old eyes and bad fingers.

I would expect a Sponsor whos attacking another Sponsor to have the name right, thats all.

Owner, you know I'm not. I been a sub since 1999. I been with them since the first design and watched the build the best pusher on the market. They are always working on something to improve the unit.

I'm not at liberty to say whats next but it should extend the life of the block.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  15. 1olddogtwo

Each section has 4 blocks, you can break two before needing repair, one upper and one lower. As as adjustments, its just drop and go. Once the curl is set, you just use the lift control, you can curl forward for a higher attack on hardpack if needed. This will shorten some life on the cutting edges.

Here is pic of the drop and go

CAT SKID.jpg

The plow is ready to push, the Cat isn't

We use quick attach on everything. As Mick pointed out, he can stack higher with bucket hook ups.

Mick, you missing the snow life yet?

CAT SKID.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Do my Arctics scrape well yes but I find I don't run them because if I do there's always a problem. Buy a Metal Plessis Live Edge. Metal Plessis had been around longer then Arctic. Seems strange you can hardly even sell an Arctic in Canada as they're so many better choices in our fine land.

17. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I can say I've heard of the stop blocks that were supposed to be out this year to stop the blocks from flexing to far to break. They are to address a problem with Arctics that you say doesn't exist.

But anyways, sorry for the miss-spelling, thanks for scolding me to point it out, jeesch. (Hope I spelled that right)

Also, I wasn't attacking ARCTIC, I think they have a nice pusher. I was just pointing out the facts when compared to a Metal Pless. I'm sorry you haven't seen one yet, I'm sure you will soon enough. They are a very heavy duty design with a sectional trip edge that both floats up and down, and each edge can oscillate also. Users that have demoed it have compared it to a cross between an Avalanche and an Arctic. It's a very robust pusher.

18. 1olddogtwo

Sounds like a attack and a ambush. The OP came here asking a very clear question about the Sectional. Didn't ask for/about any other pusher. Judging from his question(s),he has done his homework and was still doing research.

The blocks are design to break, that's the kicker, blow a 30/40 dollar block, save the pusher,machine,and personal injury.
    The block stops or whatever people may want to call them may become a added feature. They been heavily test this season with excellent reports.

Anyways, bring on the snow, bring the white gold!

19. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

I think Arctics plow is not anywhere near a lie or a stretch of the truth. I took this picture when i stopped by their yard a few years ago during the off season. They have more now. Why would they use so many if they broke all the time. Its because they don't break when their operators get trained properly. Anyone can break anything when they're just thrown into a machine. Train your people, it works. And they have made a new option available to help cut down on rubbers being broken because the lack of proper use. I've used these plows more than anyone can dream of and i have never broken one. Ever. Old dog and many others can attest to this claim. And the Arctic copiers may be 10% cheaper than the Arctic Sectional, but why not pay 10% more and get 100% of the real thing. More pictures to come...

Updated Phone Pictues 151.jpg

20. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

100 caterpillar skid steers with 10ft arctic sectionals. 252BII at the time of pictures.

And to OP, the blades will scrape the left over hard packed snow but if you use the Sectionals from the start they will never allow such a build to occur. Like others have said they scrape 110% from the beginning with no re-scrape necessary.

Updated Phone Pictues 051.jpg