1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Arctic plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fordman, Jan 21, 2002.

1. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Has any one used an Arctic plow before, if so what did you think of it? I'm looking at getting an Arctic 8' steel blade. They seem like a well made plow and are about a $1000.00 cheaper then other brands sold here in Canada. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i saw one at the denver simposium and it looked well built

nothing that would lead me to believe that it would sell for less than others

sounds like a good deal

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i know somebody on here just bought one i think. maybe they will respond. if i remember right, he was very happy with it.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Aren't Arctic plows made in Canada? Could be why they cost less there for similar quality.

5. butter

butter Junior Member

go for the artic. i went from an 8ft steel myers to an 8ft poly meyers to a 8ft poly artic this year. ilove the plow and especially the $1000 cheaper. it all depends what your putting the plow on but i went with the trip edge with the removable sides, just like the turkey wings to make a snow pusher. the wings cut my time down by at least 50%. i have a 2500hd duramax so i was not worried about the amount of snow i would be pushing, and man the amount of snow that thing holds is unbeleivaable, for 1 pass with the pusher it would take at least 4-5 pushes with a normal blade cleaning up all the trails. my friend bought just a 8ft poly artic last year and had no problems with it thus far, and i have heard good things about them. parts are easy to get if u do end up needing them as artic is located in london. i would recommend artic to anybody, and in my opinion i will never go back to a straight blade again after having the wings. the wing and trip edge plow are about $900 more than the trip blade but are well worth the money. btw the trip edge and wings add an extra 300-350lbs to the plow so make sure the front end can handle it if u go that way. if u want some more info on the plow just hollar and i'll give u some more info as this post is getting long enough.happy plowing if we ever get any snow

6. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I have an older 8ft. Arctic Steel plow that I bought used. It is used only as back-up. The plow itself works OK. It looks like a Western copy. But I hate the controler. I'm use to a Western with a joy stick. My Arctic has a big square box that takes up half the dashboard and has two switchs on it. Maybe if I used it more I might like it. In the last 3 years I have only used it 2 times. I know Arctic plows are popular north of Toronto. But that may because the only dealer around is an Arctic dealer. I guess the plow is $1000 cheaper because our dollar is so low. I would give the Artic a try but would get a joy stick controler for it I think they are available.

Razor

7. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Razor - funny you mention that, I have the same controller and I like it! :D

It's actually a Monarch control box, mine is mounted to a pedestal I fabbed myself.

Just shows you how personal preferences vary!

My plow itself is an old Western that's about 2/3 "fabbed by me" now, so I can't say much about the Arctic plows except that yes, they do look very similar to a Western and a couple of people I know that have them are happy with them.

8. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Like I said maybe I would learn to like the controler if I spent more time using it. My old truck had a joy stick mounted on my right side and my new truck (I had it 8 years now) has it on the left it took me a while to get use to it. We have a place in Parry Sound and the guys up there love their Arctic plows, controlers and all. Nine out of ten trucks had Arctic plows on them, but maybe the only dealer around is an Arctic dealer. Now up there I'm seeing Curtis Plows, I have never seen one in the city. It is stange what is popular in one region is had to find in another region. The same I notice about lawn equipment from region to region.

Razor

9. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

We have one lonely 8' Arctic poly in a sea of Boss red. It is on an older soon to be backup truck. Never had a problem with the plow. Very well made and proven tough after a ride into a ditch last year! I would like to see them use a single electric connector like the Boss. You cannot beat the price.
    Pat