1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

arctic plow on my truck today

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PRO PROPERTY CARE, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Just had a arctic plow installed on my truck today.
    nice set up, got it with the touch pad......
    I forgot to ask them if they cranked up the torsion bars. It sags about 1 inch when you raise the plow off the ground.
    I know i have heard this before, but if i crank up the torsion bars will it effect the steering at all.
    thanks

:drinkup:

2. hey second question. It has the touch pad, and there is a black button on the side . The dealer didnt say anything about this button what does it do. And its not the on off swicht its opposit side of that.
    thanks

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think it is a reset button for the circuit.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Hey Mike,get that salter mounted yet ? :D

You should be able to tell if they cranked the bars as the threads will be shiny,and the bolt heads will have socket marks on them.If they didn't crank them up,leave them for now.It won't hurt to crank them up,just gives you a little less rebound.It doesn't affect alignment or steering enough to worry about it.Just turn them back down in the spring.6 turns is usually enough.

Don't forget the Timbrens. :D

5. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Call the dealer to see if they cranked up the torsion bars. I would have to guess and say they didn't unless that plow is a lot heavy than my Western 7.5 Pro. I have a 03 2500HD with Timbrens and the truck only drops an inch and the torsion bars were not touched.

Ray

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

RAY..........Congrats with the new rig !

The torsion bars are nothing to raise up.

Punch mark the bolt head and frame for reference.
    Turn them up X turns in winter and back down the
    same in the summer...............EASY!

Turn clockwise to raise, counterclockwise to lower!

Check out this link on the GM plow prep option;
    Lots of info, wiring, etc..... for 99 & up trucks

https://www.gmupfitter.com/secure/html/publicat/bull/bull27.pdf

7. thanks for the help
    im going too check the torsion bars today or tomorrow.
    Timbrens are next on my list .
    Hey Wyldman , i have the wires run for the salter and my buddy is just finishing the mounting. We hope to get it on for a final fit this week. Ill take some pics with the salter and plow when its done.
    I went out too look at the plow again last night, Its still on my truck, and checked too see how much it sags. I would say it only sags an inch at the very most. The back end lifts more than the front sags. But once i have some balst ( the salter and salt) that should even it out.

thanks again
    oh ya,, wyldman, the wires under the dash. The one with the fuse i gather is power. but is the black one for ground. And did you ever bother hooking up the brake light wire. Im not great with electrical stuff.

8. Just talked to the dealer. They didnt touch the torsion bars. He says 3/4 trucks dont need it. They only recomend it on half ton trucks. The black button on the side of the controller is a float button, release's the pressuer for uncuopling , in case anyone was curious.Oh and timberens are 199 canadian. I think ill oreder some.
    thanks
    mike:drinkup:

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Mike

The one with the fuse,should be orange I believe,goes to key or IGN power.The black is to ground.Find a good ground under the dash,or on the firewall.

No,I never had the brake light wire hooked up.It is a long red wire,in the same harness for the controller wires coming into the cab.You can connect it under the dash to a stoplight wire if you wish,or there may be a CHMSL wire in your rear harness somewhere near the trailer plug.If you connect back there,just cut the red wire at the back and splice it in.It comes off the center of the spreader quick disconnect.

If you add the Timbrens,and some ballast in the rear,you probably won't have to touch the torsion bars.

If you get stuck with the wiring,just give me a ring.

10. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Lets see some pictures. Did you do the install Wyldman?
    Eric

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

No,I didn't install it,just delivered it.It was a used unit off of one of our trucks.He has someone who is going to fab up a mount for it,a swingaway type I think.

Hopefully we'll see some pics soon. :D

12. I just stopped by today, we are going to put salter on this friday. Ill take some pics and post them ....
    wyldman , thanks for the info on the wires.
    mike:drinkup:

13. wyldman

wyldman Member

Mike,I forgot to add that you should put a relay in to feed the power for the orange wire to the fuse.I had relays under the hood which fed power to that fuse,as it can draw quite a bit if your have the 2 salter lights on,and 2 more connected to the additional connector for under the bumper.

14. im just going too run the lights that came with the salter.
    Would I still need a relay for just those two lights.

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

The switch and all the wiring I gave you will handle it just fine.I'm more concerned about the extra power being pulled through the ignition switch.2 lights @ 55 watts is going to draw almost 10 amps.I would still add a relay.Radio shack,or canadian tire has them cheap.If you want I can draw up a quick diagram on how to connect it.

16. ok,,, when it comes too electrical , im an idiot.....
    i was going to look for a 12 volt source under the dash and tie into that ....
    wouldnt that work,,,,,,,,,

17. wyldman

wyldman Member

Yes,it would,but you need a switched power source,hot with the key on.This would mean it comes through the ignition switch,and the little factory wires.

You can buy a little accessory fuse panel,with like 4 fused circuits,and a built in relay.Painless wiring makes one,and there are others too.It hooks up to the battery,and one tap into an ignition circuit for a trigger.All the load goes through the relay and not the ignition switch.Gives you room for your plow controls,salter controls,beacon or light,and one more accessory.

You could also just add a single relay if you want,I'll show you how to wire it up.

One benefit of doing it this way is the dealer cannot go and void your warranty on electrical stuff because you started tapping into circuits and overloading stuff.It's all isolated by the relay.

18. if you could show me , some how , by email maybe.
    I was going too look at how they wired my plow up , but its too dark out now. Ill have look tomorrow.
    thanks for the help
    mike